Saturday, February 16, 2008

May I Introduce To You: Hungry Hill by Carole O'Malley Gaunt

Photobucket


I hope you're enjoying our biography reviews as much as I am! I've never been one to read a lot of bio's, but I'm really enjoying the ones I've found for this theme. Here's another autobiography I'm so glad I didn't miss out on...






Carole O'Malley Gaunt has penned a memoir that reads like "The Wonder Years". Full of detail and rich with the feel of the era, this is a book that is easy to read and easy to enjoy.

When Carole was only 13, her mother died of lymphatic cancer, leaving behind seven sons and her only daughter. Carole's father, a staunch Irish Catholic, hired a housekeeper, turned to whiskey for comfort, and made Carole the default momma of the boys.

Growing up in Hungry Hill, a predominatly Irish-Catholic working class neighborhood, Carole recounts stories about her neighbors, the events surrounding her mother's passing, and the years that followed such a tragic event.

While the overall theme has a deep tone of sadness, Carole cleverly injects humor and wisdom into what she writes. Interspersed throughout the telling are interviews with family and even some fictional scenes of what could have been, or what once was, in her mind.

All in all, this is an insightful and delightful autobiography that I'm pleased to recommend. I'm giving "Hungry Hill" four out of five bookmarks, and encouraging you to be a big sister to someone who is growing up without a mom in his or her life. You never know the impact you might have.

Happy Reading!

Deena

No comments: