Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Saving Yesterday by Jess Evander



About the Book:

Her blood holds secrets she never knew existed.

Despite the fact that she acts as a parent to her alcoholic father, Gabby Creed feels pretty normal. But her life is turned upside-down on her seventeenth birthday when a bracelet appears on her wrist and sucks her back through time.

Turns out she's not even a little bit normal. She's a Shifter-a protector of humans and of history itself. And she's not alone. The other Shifters believe Gabby is special, even more special than the mysterious Michael Pace. Oh, and the Shades-seriously creepy creatures who feed off of human despair-are determined to capture her.

It's all a lot to absorb. So Gabby's grateful to have Michael as her Trainer-or she would be if she could get her rebellious heart under control. Then again, if the rumors about her blood are true, saving yesterday will be the least of her worries.

My Thoughts:

This is an obscure title that I devoured yesterday.  All other plans for Monday?  Down the drain.  We had company over for dinner...and I wanted to reschedule so I could finish.  As it was, I was up until the wee hours until I turned the final page.

So, how did I find this little literary gem?  It wasn't through a search...back cover copy didn't attract me...wasn't even the cover.  What sold me on the book?

A review.

Yup.  Even for reviewers, the power of a review is an amazing thing.  A dear friend writes reviews for USA Today, and she reads a LOT of books.  For Serena Chase to post on Facebook that this is one author you don't want to miss...well, I sat up and took notice.

And she nailed it.  "Saving Yesterday" is phenomenal YA fantasy fiction, and should be on your bookshelf.  I loved everything (except the editing--sorry, but caught some glaring errors in text).  The characters were richly detailed, and the world building was spot on. 

When I read fantasy I MUST get lost in the story to the point that the real world is a hazy dream while I'm reading.  I did.  I MUST see growth in the characters.  I did.  And I MUST crave more once I'm finished.  I did.

Jess Evander is a writing force, and I can't WAIT for her second novel!  Fortunately for me, by the time I discovered "Saving Yesterday", I was one day away from the release of "Capturing Today", so yay for me!

My thanks to my friend Serena Chase for recommending such a stellar novel, and my eternal gratitude to Jess Evander for "Saving Yesterday".  Epic read, and highly recommended.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: