Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Once Again, This Has Nothing To Do With Books...

...so if you're only here for reviews and such, feel free to skip it.

But I've got to get something off of my chest, and this is the best place to do it.

I just emailed with a sister in Christ who made a blunder, blogged about it, and now is paying dearly for it.

Question, people?

Whatever happened to grace?

We're here, reviewing, blogging, posting...and others are worrying about reputations, fairness, listings, feelings...etc....

Meanwhile, how many thousands of people died without Christ in the bombings in Georgia in the past few days and went to hell? Did we care about that?

We're sinners saved by grace. We blunder, we sin, we stumble, we fail, we make mistakes. Jesus is the difference.

Sure, out and out blatant, "in your face, can't tell me what to do" sin needs to be rebuked...but in love, mercy and grace, for pity's sake! The only people I've ever read Jesus being harsh with were the moneychangers and the Pharisees (Saducees, teachers of the law). Even then, I think it broke His heart to have to get up in their grills, so to speak.

There are more important things to be concerned with. When I posted a negative review about a work of FICTION (one person's humble opinion), I got a ding for being nit-picky.

Never mind the fact that I prayed for the author, hoped for an edit, and apologized to my rep for the review...all while trying to protect the reputation of the publisher (must have done a half a dozen edits on that thing). And it wasn't a light thing I criticized, either.

Yet people were shaming the publisher for putting out the book. That wasn't my point! They made a mistake, missed an edit, sinned...whatever. I still love them, they are still in my top five favorites, and I'll still read them. Hey, the guy even has a new book coming out, and it's on my wish list!

If we make one sin, one mistake, one error, one misstep, one faux paux...does Jesus toss us aside? Does He shame us? I read in Scripture, "There is NOW NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Maybe I have the wrong translation...or maybe we have it wrong down here (I say WE because I'm just as guilty...I'm praying for change in my life).

We take some things way too seriously, and the serious things way too lightly, I'm afraid. So, if you're one of the dog-pile on the person who screwed up people...I'm praying for you.

No more dog-piles, okay, friends and family? How about Jesus hugs, and gentle taps of correction? What say you?

Happy Reading!

Deena

P.S. Be mean, and I'll delete your comment...that's the power of the blogger:-)

4 comments:

Tarasview said...

AMEN! Preach it sister!

Queen B said...

You are exactly right. What happened to "if you don't have something nice to say..."?

Anonymous said...

Love you sister!

I have an award for you on my blog today too by the way! Please swing by and pick it up :).

Anonymous said...

Well-said, Deena. Thank you for speaking out. You're absolutely right... way too often people are quick to condemn, but Jesus isn't... and He doesn't.

Convict (when necessary), yes.
Condemn, no.

MizB