Sunday, April 27, 2008

Stealing Bradford by Melody Carlson

Photobucket


Maybe I've just been reading too much teen lit lately. Maybe there's been so much drama in my life lately, or in the lives of my teens, that I'm just worn out and don't need any in my reading.

But "Stealing Bradford" just didn't grab me like previous Melody Carlson novels have in the past.

This is book two in the Carter House Girls series, and I was excited to continue the story of DJ after events in the previous title, "Mixed Bags". DJ's life had turned a corner, and I wanted to see what happened next.

In the second book, Taylor is still the mean girl in the six pack. She seems to have taken an instant dislike to DJ, and it's a mystery as to why. But when this man-eater goes after innocent and loveable Rhiannon's boyfriend, Bradford, well, that is just SO wrong!

Trouble is, I didn't find myself caring all that much. No heart tugs or tears or wanting to reach into the book to smack the girl silly. And when things turned sour on Taylor, I couldn't feel bad for her.

Plus, the way Taylor handled this situation reminded me of similar scene in another Melody Carlson story I recently read, and that kind of bugged me a bit. I mean, when you write as prolifically as Melody does, some scenes are bound to pop up in books that have a lot of similiarities.

But these are two current releases in two different series for two different age groups, and I felt like I was reading the same thing twice. Some differences, but not many.

In all, I wasn't as thrilled with "Stealing Bradford" as I was with the series' debut. I'm giving this one three out of five bookmarks, with a scooter as a charm. A Vespa to be exact.

Don't miss out on this series just because it didn't thrill me this time. Melody Carlson is still one of the best teen lit authors in the business...she just didn't hit this one out of the park.

Happy Reading!

Deena

2 comments:

Carole said...

I personally appreciate the honesty of your book reviews, Deena. If the premise of a book really appealed to me, I would try it anyway. So thank you for your honest thoughts!

M. C. Pearson said...

I loved the first one...but I feel sort of the same way as you about the second one. I was very angry about how it ended...it seems that the series was probably one big book idea that was torn apart to be several. I do not like cliffhangers in main story lines. Side ones are okay because they lead to a new story idea. But not with the main story line. That was just wrong to me.

I am not sure if I want to read the next one.