Saturday, April 26, 2008

Broken Angel by Sigmund Brouwer

Photobucket


I try very hard not to be a reading snob. I read across the genres, and sample from the ones that don't have much appeal for me, simply because, as a reviewer, I have readers who love all types of fiction.

While I'm growing fond of speculative fiction, some of it is simply too "out there" for me. And, unfortunately, that's how I feel about Sigmund Brouwer's coming release, "Broken Angel".

I must confess, I've never really read any of Mr. Brouwer's writing before, but the premise of this novel appealed to me at first. It has an other worldly feel to the story, a kind of post-apocalyptic feel...which has never appealed to me.

Caitlin's a freak, an outcast. Her deformed body and unusual gifts have her on the run. Raised in the hills of Appalachia, she's trying to escape what seems like an oppressive cult leader to find another mysterious group of people who will either help her...or destroy her.

While the story had moments that held my attention, for the most part it felt like a book I had started and just had to finish because I was reading it. I tried hard to get the story and enjoy it. I tried hard to understand it.

But I just didn't get the point of the story, and I never connected with the characters. It was all just too different, too speculative for me. And I hate that...I hate giving a book a bad review. Authors pour themselves into their work only to have people like me come along and say I don't like it.

So, don't think of this as a bad review. Just think of it as a book that wasn't for me, but could be for you. If you enjoy stories in the lines of "The Omega Man/I Am Legend", you might find this book very intriguing.

For me, I can only give "Broken Angel" two out of five bookmarks, with an untraceable trac phone as a charm (even though I don't connect with Caitlin, I have to help her escape!).

Happy Reading!

Deena

2 comments:

M. C. Pearson said...

Now I'm intrigued...I love spec fiction. Hmmm. I just might have to read this one to see if it actually doesn't hold my attention.

Thanks for the honest review, Deena!

Kim said...

A-men, Deena! I didn't "get" this one either! Well written, but just didn't get the reason behind the story.

Kim