Friday, April 18, 2008

Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris

Photobucket


Rebelution: A word created by Alex and Brett Harris, combining "rebellion" and "revolution" to mean a teenage rebellion against low expectations.

A few days ago, I gave you a preview of a book I felt was important to this generation. I wanted to finish the book before I gave you a review, but I could tell this was an important book.

I was right.

Now, I won't tell you I wish this book had been around for me when I was in high school ('how long ago was that, Deena?' 'nun a yore bizness:-). I knew the importance of doing hard things and following through. And I did a lot of them.

First and foremost, I went to public school as a nerdy, overweight, insecure female. That was HARD. I endured teasing, bullying, and overall picking on me-ness. That was HARD.

I took every challenging class that was offered. I aimed for the top ten of my graduating class. I made it to #3. That was HARD.

And in college, I didn't settle for the easy A classes. My general education encompassed Statistics, every Philosophy course known to mankind, Political Science, Physics, and anything else that would stretch my brain and make me grow as a person.

I traveled to Japan at 15, and to Romania at 40 (I know, long time in between:-). I worked for the sheriff's department and the employment office, in the ESL lab at the university, and lots of other stuff.

But, enough about me. My point is, previous generations understood the concept of doing hard things, both big and small.

This one doesn't seem to grasp that concept. That's why this book should be required reading for all students entering 7th grade, and they need to read it until they get it.

It's now required reading for my two teens still at home.

Alex and Brett use real life illustrations, both from their personal experiences as well as events shared with them through their blog to demonstrate the importance of not settling for society's expectations of you as a teen.

They do an excellent job explaining away the myth of adolescence, as well as demonstrate a mastery of Scripture and great literature. These two remarkable young men should not be considered remarkable.

They are just doing hard things. And succeeding at the doing...not always at the thing. I cannot recommend this book more highly to anyone who is involved in the lives of teens and parents of teens.

I'm giving "Do Hard Things" the golden bookmark, and reminding you I have a giveaway of two copies going on here.

Happy Reading!

Deena

3 comments:

Kim said...

Required reading in my home too! What an AWESOME book!!!

Kim

Mocha with Linda said...

I agree with your review. I LOVED this book. I, too, posted about it and the frustration my husband and I feel with the lack of effort kids exert to do anything today.

It's a push-button generation. You don't even have to shuffle cards any more when you play solitaire on your PC - just click and they are shuffled and dealt!

My kids are going to be reading it this summer. My daughter doesn't have as much of a problem with it this (yet!) but my son desperately needs it.

windycindy said...

Happy Saturday! From what I have read about these twin brothers and their book, how marvelous they both are!
I think teens and adults should read this book. I know I hold out on life too much! Please enter me in your drawing. I really appreciate it!
Many thanks,Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com