Saturday, July 28, 2007

My Response to Question Five of the Harry Potter Meme...

I promised you an answer, and I shall keep my promise.

I've read all you have written thus far, and while I agree, I think there's something more to it. Some ingredient that we just can't put our finger on, but we must admit it's there.

I compare the Harry Potter phenomenon to The Beatles. Think about it. How many groups from Great Britain did we listen to? How many groups made it big here in the States? And how many have the legacy The Beatles have today?

The Rolling Stones are still making albums and touring...but when we think of 60's British rock and roll...it's The Beatles all the way. They're even in history books for goodness sake! Cultural icons...

What set them apart? What sets Harry apart? There are other children's fantasy series out there...Series of Unfortunate Events, Artemis Fowl, Spiderwick...and the newest rage--"Fablehaven" (and it's GOOD, but it's not Harry!).

Yet Harry is more than just a book, or a series. It's a cultural phenomenon. It's captivating. I have a feeling that nothing will ever satisfy fantasy-wise like Harry for another 50 or so years (how long since Tolkien and Lewis published their epic tales?).

And I think that's the key. This is epic fantasy fiction. A series of 7 novels, over a span of a dozen years, over 4,000 pages, with 7 movies (5 out and 2 more to come)...it's huge.

Plus, Harry is in all of us. I mean, who hasn't felt as if they were nothing and something happens to make us feel like something, you know?? Anchored in a world we're all familiar with--school--and yet unlike anything we can ever experience.

The boy who lived makes us feel as if we should live as well...living lives that make a difference and are filled with love and friendship and morals and values...
after all, isn't that what ultimately makes Lord Voldemort most pitiful??

So, there's my take on the entire matter. If you've found something that satisfies you like Harry does, please share it with me. Or if you've found a series or a fantasy novel that is worth reading, share, please.

Happy Reading!

Deena

No comments: