Monday, April 9, 2007

Who Do I Review For?

Someone recently asked me who I review for. Do I receive books to review, or do I just read a lot and review what I read.

The answer is: I review for me. I love to read, and to talk fiction. It's frustrating for me to read a really good, even excellent book, and then not have anyone to talk to about it.

For example, I read Tedd Dekker's "Thr3e". That book was intense, and the ending blew my mind.

But no one I knew had read the book. To talk about it would have been to ruin it. But God was merciful, and He prompted people to make a movie version of "Thr3e". He also prompted my sweet hubby to take me to see the movie, which then gave me someone to talk about the book with. God is so good' (That was written tongue in cheek...but I do believe God will bless us in the itty ways as well as the big ones!)

So, blogging helps relieve the stress of finding people to talk fiction with. I found YOU!! And I love to share...and would love to have you share with me. So, when you comment, it's like talking with you. And I go check out your blogs...I've found some awesome readers!!

I also read. A LOT. And my husband knows reading makes me happy. So, instead of roses and chocolates, I get books. Instead of diamonds and emeralds, I get books. Instead of fancy dinners out...wait a minute. I still get fancy dinners out. But I also get books:-)

I lurk at places like Amazon.com and Christianbook.com to see what is new in Christian fiction. When I worked for a Christian bookstore, I read the trade magazines and kept watch on new titles. And I often email my favorite authors, asking them to keep me posted. Christian authors are great people...they have never failed to respond to my email and my snail mail.

And that's another reason I review. The Christian fiction market is so full of new books and new authors, as well as old favorites...it's just too hard to know what to buy, especially if you're on a budget! I like to do what I can to increase readership for my favorite authors and my newly discovered favorites as well.

I'm slowly getting a few books here and there in the mail for me to review. And, while I don't want to brag on myself, I have considered letting my two favorite Christian publishers know I'm willing to review for free books. But I'm not sure I'm good enough to go asking...now, if authors want to SEND them to me...well, I'm not gonna say no!!

So, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Happy Reading!

Deena

6 comments:

MizB said...

Hee hee.. Thanks for taking the time to write in answer to my question! ;o)

I think it's so cool that you just love to read that much! And, isn't the Internet a marvelous gift of God for providing us with people to "talk books" with?!? (grin)

I'm really grateful to have found your blog, and will happily continue to "talk" to you via comments about books you've reviewed!

And, if you want, you can Email me any time! (I could even pass on the contact info for reviewing for BethanyHouse!) ;o)

<>< Mizbooks

Anonymous said...

Deena, I'm a freelance reviewer for Tyndale, a well known Christian publisher which I'm sure you've heard of and if I am good enough to review, you certainly are good enough. Your reviews are always great and give just enough info about the book to let me know if I want to read it or not, without giving anything major away. You should really start putting your name out there. All I did was email publishing companies!

Nise' said...

In reading the SRT blog posts, I see that many people are reading Tedd Dekker. I would like to read some of his books, but here's my question. Are his books all stand alone or are they series books or is the same character in all the books that I need to start with the first one? I am one of those people that if is a series book or same character I MUST start from the beginning. If not, which one do you recommend I start with? Thanks, Nise'

Deena Peterson said...

Ok...

Mizb...anytime, sweet thang! I love that you "talk back" to me in comments:-)

Amanda...thank you for the vote of confidence...maybe one day I'll feel like sticking my chicken neck out:-)

Nise'...start with "Blink"...it goes a little slowly at first, but when it picks up speed, HOLD ON!!
He has the color trilogy, which I believe goes Black, White, Red...
Thr3e is a stand alone...haven't read the martyr series...and you MUST read Showdown first before you read Saint and Skin...nuff' said!

Nise' said...

Thanks Deena. I am going to put my request in for Blink right now! I just read a disappointing book over the weekend. It was neither good nor bad just predictible. Oh well, on to the next one!

Rel said...

Hey Girls,

Deena, what is stopping you? You can review books - I've read your reviews! I review for many publishers and TitleTrakk.com and it has all come about in a matter of 6 months or so - go for it!