Sunday, April 8, 2007

A Mile From Sunday by Jo Kadlecek

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Reviews can be funny things. One person's opinion, influencing another person's choices. I try to be careful with my reviews, being open and honest about what I feel is good, quality writing. But ultimately it's the reader's choice...buy the book or not buy the book.

I read a review on "A Mile From Sunday" that was so-so...but the subject matter and the publishing company appealed to me...NavPress tends to put out edgy, quality writing most of the time.

So I bought the book and took a chance. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Jonna Lightfoot McLaughlin is the religion writer for the Denver Dispatch. She is reporting on all religious activity in the local region, and is searching for a good religion story amidst all of the deception and misconception.

A mysterious phone call starts a chain of events that may or may not be related. Then a character named Jedidiah Sundae calls...and a story unfolds that makes me cringe. It's a story of religious abuse that turns my stomach, and that happens all too often.

Jonna continues pursuing leads despite her life being threatened. Fortunately for her, she has a compassionate editor and supportive friends and family. One of the most appealing aspects of this novel was Jonna's family.

The writing flows well, the story is engaging although disturbing, and I really like Jonna. Fortunately there will be two more novels in this trilogy. So watch for more from Jo Kadlecek...it is worth the risk!

I give A Mile From Sunday 3 bookmarks with a a bonus tassel and a charm!

Happy Reading!

Deena

No comments: