Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What The Cat Dragged In by Gilbert Morris

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I generally shy away from Gilbert Morris novels. He writes so much and is into EVERYTHING...he just isn't my cup of tea.

But when I found this new series, I just had to try it out. I love Lilian Jackson Braun's "The Cat Who..." series, and can't get enough of Koko and Yum Yum.

So Jacques and Cleo in "What the Cat Dragged In" was right up my alley.

Or so I thought.

The story started out well. I liked Kate and could empathize with her. Jeremy her son, seemed sweet. And he was a social misfit, just like me. Their sudden change in fortune and locale was semi-believable---the kind of thing you dream about happening to you.

I do have a bone to pick with the copy editor...is Jake's last name "Winters" or "Novak"?? That really bugged me! In the novel he's named "Jake Novak" and I like that one better, so that's what we'll go with.

He's a rebel and a half...kind of stereo-typical if you ask me. And that was the problem I had throughout the story. Everything felt derived, contrived, and artificial.

It has all the elements of a great cozy novel, but that's all they are. Just elements, with no genuine feeling or emotion behind them. It just doesn't seem as if Mr. Morris has any investment in his characters...and quite frankly, if he doesn't invest in them...why should I?

I plowed through to the end, and I'm glad I did. The mystery is solved in a most satisfactory manner...kind of. Up to this point, Jacques seems like more of a prop than a main character...so different from "The Cat Who..." books.

All in all, I've already bought book 2...so I'll hang with the series a bit longer. Hoping the posterboard excuses for people are gone in the next story, I'll read "The Cat's Pajamas" with a skeptical eye...but I WILL read it:-) I'm a sucker for cozy cat mysteries!!

So, "What the Cat Dragged In" only gets 2 bookmarks from me, out of a possible five. So disappointed.....

Happy Reading!

Deena

No comments: