Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Art of Standing Still by Penny Culliford

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I have to admit...I almost put this one down. But I had it on my Spring Reading Thing list, so I kept with it. In the end, it was worth it.

Penny's latest novel is about the medieval mystery plays and their impact on non-believers...primarily. There's also a real mystery that's loosely woven into the story, along with a hint of romance...but just a hint.

Vicar Ruth Wells worked diligently to translate the old English dramas into more modern and more understandable language. Her dream is to have them performed for the British masses of Monksford. Alistair Fry, a leader in the Monksford community, seems poised to make her dream come true.

Jemma Durham is a frustrated news reporter. She wants more news and less community advertising. Assigned to capture a role in the drama and to pen a column for the Monksford paper, she lands the role of Mary Magdalene...which is fitting, because Jemma isn't a believer.

She plays opposite Josh Wood, who portrays Jesus of Nazareth. He is unassuming and genuine in his faith, which greatly impresses and attracts Jemma. It also frustrates her, hence the romantic tension in the story.

The effort to get the dramas into production is mildly entertaining. The mystery, in a way, seems thrown in for good measure. And the romance...in my mind, goes no where.

What redeemed this novel for me was the final impact of the drama on Jemma. But I'll leave that for you to discover.

Maybe I just don't care for British authors. Maybe I just can't get into novels set in different countries (although I thoroughly enjoyed the later volumes of Sisterchicks). Maybe Penny Culliford just isn't my cuppa.

I doubt I ever pick up another of her novels. But you be the judge.

"The Art of Standing Still" gets 1 bookmark from me...and only because of the ending.

Happy Reading!

Deena

1 comment:

TaunaLen said...

Deena,

Well, I guess I'll be moving this one to the bottom of my SRTC TBR pile. :-) The past two weeks have been insanely busy, but this weekend my true love and I have booked a B&B about an hour from home, and I plan to read and write, and blog, and spend time with my sweetie! I can't wait. I am still blown away about the thinking blog award, and working o a response post. Hopefully it won't take too long. In the meantime, check out my reviews of Daisy Faye and the Miracle Man and The Princess Bride.
http://taunalen.blogspot.com/2007/04/daisy-fayes-miracle-man-is-no-miracle.html

Hugs!
~TaunaLen