Friday, January 26, 2007

The Cubicle Next Door by Siri Mitchell

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Usually, once I've tried an author and not been wrapped up in his/her writing, I give up. But this book kept catching my eye, so finally I gave into the appeal of the cover and indulged.

I'm SO glad I did!

"I wasn't crazy about sharing my office space with anyone...and then I met Joe." That's how "The Cubicle Next Door" by Siri Mitchell begins. And the journey she takes after that first observation is an exhausting one, but one that is so worthwhile.

Jackie Harrison is a civilian who works as a computer analystfor the US Air Force. Through a miscommunication and overstaffing dilemma, she ends up having to share her cubicle with Lt. Col. Joseph Gallagher. And her life turns upside down.

It is not only the sweetest courtship I've ever read, but I felt a kinship with Jackie that just pierced my heart. The struggle to be loved, and to accept that love once it is found is universal among women. Jackie is so real, I felt as if I could pick up the phone and talk with her myself.

The feature of the story is Jackie's secret internet blog (what? how unique!!:-). She posts her feelings about Joe on her blog, but does so anonymously, as "The Cubicle Next Door." But secret blogs can only remain secret for so long..........

What follows her postings is hilarious, endearing and heartwrenching. This was one of those novels that I could not wait to finish, and yet was so sad when it ended. Jackie's journey is one I myself have taken in a way.

You'll have to read the novel to understand. To share more ruins the mystery of Jackie's journey. Believe me, it's a beautiful one. It will leave you longing for your own Joe...

Me? I already have one...and THAT is a beautiful thing indeed.

Get this book. Read it. Share it with a girlfriend, sister, mom, any woman you know who longs to be loved but something holds her back.

I have to go and email Siri Mitchell and let her know I want more from Jackie and Joe!!

Thanks, Siri, for sharing with all of us!

Deena

No comments: