Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Living Room by Robert Whitlow





About the Book:

Amy Clarke’s dreams are coming true—and that’s the problem.
 
Legal secretary by day, romance novelist by night, Amy Clarke lives with a precious secret. For years, she has traveled to a holy place in her dreams—a sublime place she calls the Living
Room. When she awakes, her faith and energy are supernaturally restored. And when she dreams, she receives vibrant inspiration for her novels.
 
As she begins to write her third book, the nature of her dreams shifts. Gone are the literary signposts. Instead, her dreams are studded with scenes that foreshadow real life. Before long, the scenes begin to spill over into her waking hours too.

My Thoughts:

Doesn't this sound intriguing?  I've read every single novel penned by Robert Whitlow, and he ranks high on my Bookshelf right up there with Randy Singer.  Unfortunately, this time the story didn't live up to the expectation.

Imagine you have finally traveled to your dream amusement park.  The best roller coaster ride awaits you, and you tingle with anticipation of the potential suspense, danger and mystery of the ride.  The lines are long, but you find yourself entertained by conversation and the time seems to move along fairly well.

Finally, you reach your ultimate destination...the seat of the highly anticipated coaster.  You eagerly climb aboard, are securely belted in and ready for the ride of your life....and the attendant then says, "That's it!  Time to leave the car!"

What??  What just happened??  All that build up, all that time invested...all that anticipation...and that's the END RESULT???

Yeah, that was how I felt as I finished "The Living Room".  I'd been anticipating another great story with the high octane ending I've come to know and love from Robert Whitlow...and it just...

...ended.  No real sense of satisfaction, no closure, no conclusion.  All sparkle and no spark.

Which left me so sad.  I've never finished a novel with such a lack of....finish. 

But, that's my experience.  You might enjoy "The Living Room" for the characters, for the imagination behind Amy's dreams.  And you could very well find the last few pages quite satisfying.

I just didn't.  So, I'm only giving "The Living Room" two and a half stars out of five, and only because the story did hold me for awhile...it just never really delivered.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: