Monday, August 19, 2013

Misery Loves Company by Rene Gutteridge




About the Book:

Don’t tell me it’s terrifying. Terrify me.

Filled with grief, Juliet Belleno rarely leaves the house since her husband’s death while on duty as a police officer. Other than the reviews Jules writes on her blog, she has little contact with the outside world.

But one day when she ventures out to the local grocery store, Jules bumps into a fellow customer . . . then recognizes him as her favorite author, Patrick Reagan.
 
And that’s the last thing she remembers — until she wakes up in a strange room with a splitting headache. Jules realizes she’s been kidnapped . . . but what she discovers about her abductor will change everything she believed about her husband’s death, her career, and her faith.

My Thoughts:

The biggest reason I get excited about a new novel by Rene Gutteridge is this: she writes unafraid.  That's to say this is an author who takes risks in her stories, and it pretty much always pays off big time.

"Misery Loves Company" puts a twist on a new classic from the King of Creepy, Stephen King.  Remember the movie where the avid fan kidnaps and tortures the author (i.e., Misery)??  Well, to switch things up and make them interesting, this time it's the author who snatches the fan...

...or is it?

I've got to be honest here.  Jules is a blogger and a reviewer.  The hair on the back of my neck was at full attention for most of this book....because I blog and I review.  You will NEVER read these words on MY reviews after reading "Misery Loves Company":

Don’t tell me it’s terrifying. Terrify me.

Yeah.  The book is THAT good! 

And the suspense...oh, the suspense!

Don't be expecting many bread crumbs, either.  The reader basically learns what Jules learns, right along with her.  No advance warning of things to come.  No big spoiler revealing the ending that you'll see coming a mile away.

Every word choice is carefully made, every sentence carefully crafted...every clue a minute part of the bigger picture.  And you will not see the ending coming...unless you cheat and read the last few pages first.

You'll be tempted.  I was.  But refrain from spoiling the surprise, please.  Rene has penned another keeper, and this is one I know I'll be reading again, this time a bit more slowly to catch the nuances...because they are to be found by careful readers.

"Misery Loves Company", and you'll be in good company if you pick up a copy of Rene's newest novel.  I'm giving this one five stars, and I can't wait for her next book which, again, takes a risk that I just know will pay off with big enjoyment for this reader!

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: