Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Survivor by DiAnn Mills




About the Book:

Is it her next bestseller . . . Or her last words?
 
In The Chase, award-winning author DiAnn Mills introduced you to the world of Kariss Walker, the bestselling suspense author with a nose for trouble. In The Survivor, Kariss gets the chance to tell her most powerful story yet. But will it revitalize her writing career? Or bring it to a violent end?
 
Kariss meets Dr. Amy Garrett, who survived a brutal childhood attack in which the assailant was never found. Now Dr. Garrett wants her story written in a novel. Kariss wishes she could seek the advice of Special Agent Tigo Harris, but she broke off the relationship a few months prior and seeing him again would be too painful. She interviews Amy and conducts her own research, stepping unaware into danger.
 
Tigo misses Kariss and wants her back, but he understands why she broke off their relationship. Instead, he concentrates on solving a car bombing and bringing the killer to justice.
 
As Kariss's new story attracts an onslaught of danger that she never expected, can Tigo save the woman he loves and find out who wants her dead for writing about an unsolved cold case?

My Thoughts:

When I read suspense (my favorite genre), I look for two things.  First, am I engaged by the characters?  Are they like real people?  Second, does the story keep me guessing?  Do I have it figured out in the first few chapters and, if so, did the author intend for me to solve the case early on?

In the case of "The Survivor", DiAnn Mills nailed it on both of my criteria.  Special Agent Santiago (Tigo) Harris is my kind of man: strong, devoted and obviously flawed.  It was those flaws that caused Kariss to choose as she did in the previous novel, "The Chase", and I supported her decision.

Even though she isn't real.

And Kariss Walker gets into your head and your heart.  She wants to tell the story in order to change lives...and to write a best seller.  She's very human, and very vulnerable underneath her appearance of strength.  She's a woman I could have coffee with, and Tigo is a fool if he doesn't fix things and win her back.

Even though he isn't real.

The story itself is a 'ripped from the headlines' kind of tale...it could have been a "Law & Order: SVU" case.  But DiAnn puts her own unique spin on the case and she had me scratching my head until the last few chapters.

I truly did not see the ending coming, but looking back on the details the conclusion fit beautifully.  I did feel the ending was a bit rushed, but can overlook that because of how satisfying the entire book felt when I was done.

I enjoyed "The Chase", DiAnn's first novel in the "Crime Scene Houston" series.  But I LOVED "The Survivor"!  I'm hoping this isn't the last novel in the series, but if it is I find it immensely well written and satisfying.

I received a copy of "The Survivor" from Zondervan by taking part in a CFBA Book Tour.  A first chapter sneak peek will be coming your way soon.  Until then, "The Survivor" is highly recommended.

Side Note:  You don't have to read "The Chase" to enjoy "The Survivor", but I recommend you do.  The first story gives extra flavor to the second.
Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: