Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Miracle For Jen by Linda Barrick (with John Perry)



This is the second non-fiction title I've read in the past few weeks that has moved me and inspired me. Watching believers live out their faith on the mission field is something. Watching them live it out here at home is something as well...and much more doable.

Imagine a life-changing event that, had one small detail changed, that event would have never happened. Life as you've known it is now gone, and a new kind of normal life takes its place.

That is what happened to the Barrick family in November of 2006, when their family van was hit head on by a pickup truck going 80 miles an hour. The driver was drunk and fleeing from the law...the family didn't see it coming.

Son Josh was dealt the least injury, and has since fully recovered. Linda and Andy Barrick, husband and wife, were severely injured. But it was their daughter Jennifer who sustained the most serious injuries...so severe no one thought she'd live through the night.

And then the miracles began. I was breathless as I read the opening chapters that described that horrible night. Astonished at the actions of the law enforcement officer. Shocked at the description of the accident and the wounds the family suffered.

Had to put the book down and walk away for a bit...around an hour. Then I was pulled back into the story, captivated by Linda's narrative of Jennifer's coma, the family reactions, and her own pain and suffering as she struggled to heal and watched her family deal with pain and healing as well.

The accounts she shares of Jennifer's recovery are astounding. I was glad she had many witnesses to back her up, because it was almost unbelievable. Miracles kept coming, and they are mind-boggling.

As Jennifer makes her journey home and moves along in her slow recovery, watching and waiting for improvement proved difficult, but not nearly as difficult as it was for Linda, Andy, Josh and Jennifer. I felt a part of the family as I read Linda's recounting of the months and years.

The book is a testimony to so many things: the power of hiding God's Word in your heart, the power of faith, hope and prayer, the power of love and surrounding the hurting and wounded with the hands and feet of Jesus (the church), and the determination God has to answer our prayers, just not always in the ways we expect!

"Miracle For Jen" is one of the best memoirs I've ever read, and I know I'll read it again and again. Thanks to my friends at Tyndale and at Titletrakk.com, I've been privileged to read an advance copy. I can't recommend this book more highly. And once you've read the book, go to the website and check out the live video of this family and their inspiring story.

"Miracle For Jen" is available now from Tyndale Publishers, and is highly, highly recommended.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: