Friday, March 18, 2011

Her Daughter's Dream by Francine Rivers



It isn't my usual custom to read the next book in a series immediately after finishing the first. I normally need to clear my head and enter a different reading world before tackling a new novel in a series.

In this case, I was so swept up in Marta and Hildie's story that I had to know more. I was blessed with an advance copy of "Her Daughter's Dream" (no worries, it's since been released!) and immediately cracked the cover of book number two.

Hildie is now a grown woman with a daughter of her own. Due to her poor health and concerns for passing her illness on to Carolyn, she's forced to rely on Marta to help take care of her daughter and her son.

Carolyn soon forms a tight bond with her Oma Marta, and it pierces Hildie's heart to see her mother raising Carolyn, remembering the distance she'd felt in their relationship as she grew up.

Here we see what is commonly referred to as a 'generational curse' lived out in the story. Marta's mistakes are lived out in Hildie's relationship with her daughter Carolyn...who seems destined to do the same with her own daughter, May Flower Dawn.

As Dawn grows into womanhood, she sees the breakdown in the relationships of the women she's loved her entire life. Can she be the one to break the cycle? Can she find the strength and the faith to bring the women of her family together once again?

What a journey it's been with these two books! I've traveled from pre-World War I Switzerland through to today...and it has been epic. This book was draining even though enjoyable because of the emotions it bubbled to the surface of my heart.

When Francine Rivers writes, she writes to make a difference, and she succeeds every time. That's why I'm giving "Her Daughter's Dream" five out of five bookmarks, with a package of tissues as a charm. Honestly, I cried a lot as I read this one. My mother was so much like Carolyn, and her mother was so much like Hildie. I could totally relate to Dawn, being caught in the middle between two women she loved so much.

My thanks to my friends at Titletrakk.com for my advance copy (and for their patience!). Both "Her Mother's Hope" and "Her Daughter's Dream" are available now from Tyndale!

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark



Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: