Saturday, May 8, 2010

Healing Sands by Nancy Rue and Stephen Arterburn



I've read all three novels in the "Sullivan Crisp" series, and each one has improved upon the other. But this final novel by Nancy Rue and Stephen Arterburn is by far their best work yet!

In "Healing Sands" we meet Ryan Coe. Photojournalist and divorced mom of two boys, anger and...well, anger rules her life. Her sons have chosen to live with Dad, and Ryan is doing all she can to move back into their lives.

Including taking a job with the local newspaper in New Mexico, trying to make a living while re-building her relationships. But when she sees her oldest son through her camera lens while photographing a horrific accident scene, all thoughts of pictures fly from her mind.

The authorities are calling this a hate crime. They're saying her son deliberately ran Miguel over with his own truck. But this isn't the Jake Ryan remembers. Can she get him to open up to her and tell her the truth before it's too late?

Ryan begins sessions with Sullivan Crisp...probably the only counselor I'd ever consider seeing! When Sully begins gently probing at her anger issues, Ryan fights opening up...but can't seem to stop him from entering in and helping her find the truth for herself...

...and ultimately for her family.

Alex Coe, Ryan's youngest, is adorable! And even though Ryan has issues with anger, I couldn't help but love her and feel for her. I had my own anger issues with Ginger, the new girlfriend for Ryan's ex...kept wanting to snatch her bald myself!

Nancy Rue and Stephen Arterburn toss in a delicious back-story that's continued throughout all three novels, with a twist I didn't see coming until it was right on top of me. Made me wonder if writing that gave Dr. Arterburn nightmares for days! LOL!!

These two combine talents to create novels that are not only believable but packed with faith and wisdom, without sounding teachy or preachy. I've read several of these "combo novels"---using a well-known author with a well-known counselor to create works of fiction...

...and this series is the best by far. I'm a little disappointed that I won't be seeing Dr. Sully Crisp any longer, but I've enjoyed the time I've spent with him. My thanks to my friends at Thomas Nelson for sending me each wonderful novel, and I can't wait to see what is next for this dynamic writing duo!

I'm giving "Healing Sands" five out of five bookmarks, with a camera as a charm. One thing Ryan Coe taught me is you have to get the full picture before you can truly understand anything.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark



Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

1 comment:

Lalycairn said...

I SUPER enjoyed all of these, but probably enjoyed this one the most. I wish I could meet a "Sullivan Crisp" in real life, just to chat with occasionally. . . . (grin)

I definitely concur with your review here, and encourage EVERYONE to read this series.