Thursday, January 7, 2010

Us: A User's Guide by Daniel L. Tocchini



I've never been a big fan of books to help your marriage. Sometimes I think we can get so caught up in reading how to have a better marriage that we neglect to spend time together MAKING a better marriage.

But, sometimes a couple finds themselves in crisis, and a good book with sound, Biblical counsel can help. "Us: A User's Guide" by Daniel L. Tocchini is only six chapters long, but has a ton of information packed within the chapters.

Written by an ordained minister who's counseled thousands of couples, "Us" challenges the mentality that 'it's about me/it's about you', stating that marriage is far more than what we believe, and our society has it all wrong.

Daniel is a man who's been there, riding the rough waves of marital discord and building a stronger, more solid relationship with his wife. I appreciate the voice of experience when I read books on how to make changes or improve an area of my life.

Chapters include "the consumer vs. the kingdom", "say what?", and "welcome to the unprecedented". The counsel within "Us" is unique...most of what Daniel shares I've never heard before.

My only quibble is the language used in the book. At times it feels academic, and I found myself having to re-read paragraphs to get the author's point. With so much to read and so little time to read, I don't really care for that. I want every day dialogue that I can grasp the first time around.

BUT, Daniel makes up for that by using real life stories from couples he knows, and these stories are entertaining and have hooks that grab your attention and definitely make a point. Len and Sara's story almost made me weep it was so sad...and eye-opening!

Overall, I'd be selective in recommending "Us" to someone, merely because it doesn't read as well as others that I've picked up. But, I'm giving it three out of five bookmarks with a birthday cake as a charm...which makes it a keeper, just not a favorite.

Thanks to Audra Jennings at B&B Media for my copy!

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: