Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Blaze of Glory by Major Jeff Struecker and Alton Gansky



May I get something off my chest before I begin my review? Thank you.

HOOAH!

Oh, that felt good. Why am I speaking Army, you ask? Well, it could be the adrenaline-laced new novel coming in May 2010 from Major Jeff Struecker and Alton Gansky. Oh, can these two gentlemen write!!

"Blaze of Glory" continues the operations of a special force unit headed by Sgt. Major Eric Moyer. We met him and his team in the first novel, "Certain Jeopardy". And did I fall in love with this team...

This time the team faces a more formidable foe...female suicide bombers. But these suicide bombers don't fit any profile the team can come up with. Enter a new character, Tess, to help them unravel the reasons why these women would do such a horrific thing.

The journey takes them to countries that we'd least suspect for reasons that will blow. your. mind. I adore this entire team, but Shaq and Boss are my favorites. The nicknames they give each other are just SO CUTE!

I know...all the soldiers out there are gagging on their MRE's because I said 'cute'...but they are. And the dialogue! Only a special ops soldier can get away with, after a high altitude high open jump, telling his squad "Nice jump, ladies"....gotta laugh at that!

The dialogue is snappy and crisp, the action is powerful and real, and the men in the uniforms will cause you to get down on your knees and thank God we have people such as these defending our freedoms and laying their lives on the line for us.

Again, may I say "HOOAH!".

Major Struecker definitely knows his military stuff, having served in the most elite fighting corp and contributing to the story "Black Hawk Down". And Alton Gansky...well, he's been a long time favorite author of mine. Haven't read anything by Mr. Gansky I didn't like.

Together, these two authors form a powerhouse writing dynamic duo...better than LaHaye and Jenkins, rivaling Elam and Yohn (see my reviews on Riley Covington novels), and rapidly climbing to the top of my 'must read list'.

My only complaint is two-fold: this novel is a bit slow-starting right out of the gate, mainly due to Data's backstory....but once it kicks into gear...DUCK! Do NOT pick it up at night and expect to sleep!

The other half of my complaint is simply that the team of Struecker/Gansky writes TOO SLOWLY. How long will I have to wait for my next dose of Moyer(Boss)/Shaq/Junior/Colt/Doc/Data??

Oh, and don't get too attached to any one character (which is almost impossible--gotta love'em all! HOOAH!)...these two have what it takes to let a man die in battle if necessary...not that I'm saying anyone DIES in this story...or that they DON'T die...just watch out! (And do NOT skip to the end...although you'll be greatly tempted to do so!).

That is why, once again, I'm voting "Blaze of Glory" Best Military Suspense of 2010 (even though the new year hasn't started, can't think of anything that tops this novel!), and also awarding the Golden Bookmark for Authentic Fiction and True Heart in Writing.

HOOAH!

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: