Saturday, November 7, 2009

On Tour With "Touched By a Vampire" by Beth Felker Jones



As a mom, a Christian and a pastor's wife, I've taken a lot of hits for not only reading the "Twilight" series, but also for sharing it with my youngest daughter (she was 18 when we read the books together). But I stand by my position that the books are enjoyable and do have some good moral messages in them.

"Touched By a Vampire" examines the moral messages in the Twilight Saga, and also shares some cautions. I found all of the points in Beth Felker Jones' book valid and insightful.

Written to appeal to both adults and teens, Beth's book outlines the major themes found in four-book series. Topics such as the allure of forbidden love, abstinence, and gender roles are discussed at length.

But Beth also points out the hidden messages in the series, such as the consuming nature of Bella's romantic feelings toward Edward, the obsession with immortality, and the violence found in the series.

In all, I found Beth's book intriguing, but I would have liked to see more of God's book and less of Stephanie's books. I appreciated the fact that Beth didn't set out to bash the popular series, nor to embrace it.

Instead, she sought to enlighten readers as to both the good and the bad found in the series. Reading Beth's book reminded me of some things I need to re-emphasize to my daughter.

As a side note, both of my daughters read this series. The youngest one saw the moral messages and enjoyed the books; her older sister, however, used the Twilight Saga to springboard into darker novels, much to my disappointment.

Parents, you need to know your children and their tendencies before you hand a book to them. Read what your children are reading...know what is in their stories. And make up your own minds.

Not all things are healthy, and not all things are healthy for everyone. If I had it to do over again, I still would have read the series, but I don't know how on board I would have been for my daughters to read it.

Beth's book is just one of many, designed to educate both parents and fans of the books as to what is obvious and what is hidden...and sometimes dangerous. It isn't the best I've seen, but it does a good job and will appeal to a wide audience.

I'm giving "Touched By a Vampire" four out of five bookmarks, with an apple as a charm (don't you think apples get a bad rap?), and encouraging you to read and discuss this book BEFORE you decide about the new movie releasing soon.

My thanks to my friends at Waterbrook/Multnomah for giving me the chance to review Beth's book!

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

2 comments:

Shawntele said...

Glad my kids are not into Twilight, yet! I decided I will read them before I let them, and I haven't found the time. It is good to know there are books like this one available for a little insight when that time comes.

CherryBlossomMJ said...

I've been nervous about reading this one, because I love Twilight and defend it all the way with it's overall messages. Reading your thoughts puts me a bit at ease and now I look forward to reading this one next. (After Thirsty)