Saturday, October 3, 2009

God's Girls In Sports by Holly Page



I must admit, when it comes to athletic talent, I received little if any. Even my interest in sports wanes, usually sparking around SuperBowl time, and even then depending on who's playing.

But there's a lot to consider when you look at girls, sports and do it through God's eyes. What pleases Him? What honors Him? And what benefit is there in having your girls involved in competitive sports?

"God's Girls in Sports" is written by Holly Page, a self-proclaimed "Tom-Mom" (tomboy all grown up!) and avid sports fan. She's played, cheered, coached and raised three girls, all interested to some degree in sports.

It was her daughter Lindsay's decision to leave the volleyball team after a glorious championship win that sparked Holly's desire to write this book. Asking questions such as "when is it okay to quit" and examining the whole "boys vs. girls" outlook, Holly digs deeply into the topic of girls in sports.

I took away from the book this simple message: in all that we do, whether it be sports or scrapbooking or working on cars or baking in the kitchen, it all needs to be done to God's glory. If you're a sports fan or a parent of a tomboy, pick up a copy of this book.

The subject matter wasn't relevant to me (my daughter and I like our positions as couch spuds), but I could see the relevance for many families. So I'm giving "God's Girls in Sports" three out of five bookmarks, with a pair of pink running shoes as a charm.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: