Tuesday, September 15, 2009

If God Were Real by John Avant



Rarely to I read a book that floods me with hope, convicts me to tears, and wants me to change so desperately I'm afraid I won't. But John Avant has accomplished all three in his stellar non-fiction release from Howard Books.

"If God Were Real" challenges the church to live as if God were real. With multiple references to today's most prominent atheists, John Avant finds himself agreeing with much of what they say.

Not because he doesn't believe God is real.

Because he demonstrates in his book that the church today in America does not LIVE as if they believe God is real. So then, why would anyone want to believe in Him?

Well crafted, filled with wit, humor, Biblical reference and anecdotal stories, I can honestly tell you this is the best book I've read this year. It may be one of the best ten books I've read in my lifetime.

In his book, John Avant challenges us to take God out of the church and into the community. One church he references as an example is Brooklyn Tabernacle, pastored by Jim Cymbala. When you know the story of that church's beginnings and her journey to where she is now...

...wow. THAT is the power of God.

Just think, if God were real, ordinary life would be shattered; missionaries would lose their jobs; you would be really, really rich; we'd live in a messed up world.

Intrigued? Think I'm off my rocker? I challenge you to buy and read the book. I think you'll be surprised.

I want to live that. I want to be that kind of believer. I want to impact my world, no matter if I'm noticed, remembered, or applauded.

My problem is that I get in my own way. I refuse to die to self because, quite frankly, I love my stuff. I love my books. I love my opinions. I love my way of life.

And, after reading "If God Were Real"...I'm sick of me. I want more of Him.

So pray for me. I mean, really pray for me. And then get this book. This is another one that makes me wish I were able to buy it by the case and to give it away at random.

I wish every atheist would read it...especially the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Want to know who they are?

You'll have to read the book!

John Avant is not encouraging people to a social gospel. He's not watering down the truth of Scripture for the sake of making a difference. Instead, he's LIVING the gospel, and then telling others why he does what he does, and teaching his church to do the same.

His chapter on believing in God and the afterlife or not is worth the price of the book itself...but I think you'll get more out of it that just that. I'm awarding "If God Were Real" the Golden Bookmark for Writing and Reasoning Excellence, and voting it "Best Non-fiction of the Decade".

Yes, it's that good.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

1 comment:

Shawntele said...

Sounds like my kind of book; thanks for the review. :)