Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller



As my time for reading seems to be shrinking amidst family responsibilities and just life itself, when I pick up a Christian non-fiction book, I want it to be just that: Christian, and non-fiction.

Too much of what too many believe and claim to be of Scripture just has to be made up...and that greatly concerns me. Our faith is not a hope so faith, it is a KNOW SO faith...or else I personally would be looking for something else.

So I'm grateful for authors like Timothy Keller, who did deep into the Scriptures, especially the common passages we tend to read and say, "Oh, yeah. I know all there is to know about that".

I'm truly grateful when they write short books, as well...cause sometimes I have to read a paragraph or two...or three or four...several times to 'get it', they go so deep. But it's ALL GOOD!

"The Prodigal God" takes the story commonly referred to in Scripture as the story of the prodigal son and breaks it down so finely, you'll marvel at all you've missed. For instance, did you know that prodigal doesn't even mean wayward?

Want to know what it truly means? You'll have to read the book! Yes, I'm mean that way! But the story isn't just about the son who squandered his inheritance and ended up with the pigs.

The story is about the brother who stayed behind and was obedient...and how they both sinned against their father and how they both needed forgiveness. About why the father's response to both sons was different, and yet the same.

Which son are you? You'll have to read the book to find out! I'm still being mean to you:-) I can tell you, it opened my eyes to God's amazing grace and forgiveness in a new way that broke through some hard areas of my heart and has renewed my relationship with Him.

I'm rejoicing today where yesterday I was weeping. Well, I'm still weeping a little, but I'm making progress! I highly recommend "The Prodigal God" to you for a fresh look at a familiar passage that may have you renewed in your faith and ever more grateful for such a God as ours.

So, "The Prodigal God" gets five out of five bookmarks, with a little pot-bellied pig as a charm. Cute, but I don't want to live with him!

To learn more about the book, and the author, and to read a sample chapter, click here.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: