Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sitting At the Feet of Rabbi Jesus by Ann Spangler and Lois Tverberg



Maybe it's just me, but I've been a believer since I was nine years old, grown up in church, and sometimes....well, sometimes my relationship with Jesus seems to grow stale.

I know it isn't Him. It's me. That's why I'm so grateful for authors like Ann and Lois, who step outside the box and write books like this one. Books that refresh my spiritual eyes and help me see things that I've missed out on, and that breathe fresh joy into my walk with Jesus.

"Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus" takes a look at the often forgotten life of Christ as a Jew. How did He live? How did He teach? How much was He like the Jews of His time?

While no one would dispute that Jesus was God, He was also a man, and He was a Jew. When He taught, He drew on customs, knowledge and traditions that we have no concept of. What do we lose by not understanding the culture in which He walked and taught?

Which layers of Biblical teaching will come to light if we know things like what it meant for the prodigal son to ask for his inheritance while his father still lived? How much richer would our communion be if we knew of customs surrounding meals served in Jesus day?

And how much of what Jews practice today was around when Jesus walked this earth? How much is added, and how much would have impacted His ministry then? These two ladies truly have added a depth to my understanding of Scripture that has refreshed and opened my eyes to things I'm SO glad I didn't miss!

There's a big push to say that we're all the same: Jew, Christian and Muslim. That is NOT what this book is about. But in order to get the full richness of Scripture, we do need to understand the times and culture that existed when it was written.

That's what "Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus" gives us. A fresh, new and inviting perspective that I believe will bring revival into your life as a believer. So that's why I'm urging you to get this book, and to share it with a friend or your small group...

...or your family. Put some of these things into practice, and see if your walk with the Lord doesn't develop an added dimension. I'm awarding "Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus" the Golden Bookmark for Cultural Awareness and Excellence in Writing, with a pair of worn, leather sandals as a charm.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

1 comment:

Pastor Dave said...

Great review. If I hadn't already read this book it would make me want to read it! In fact, I figure it might be one of those rare books that I read more than once. Here is my review, posted back in March of this year:
http://pastordave1957.blogspot.com/2009/03/sickness-new-book.html

Dave