Thursday, December 18, 2008

Monday Night Jihad by Jason Elam & Steve Yohn

Photobucket


Okay...I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes, I admit it. This one has been on my To Be Read shelf a long time, just waiting for me to have the nerve to pick it up. In my defense, I'd just read 10+ novels dealing with terrorism, and I needed a break.

But when I heard the sequel was about to release, and my sister flipped OUT when I said I hadn't read the first one, I decided it was time to crack the cover.

Believe me when I say--do NOT start this book unless you have a solid block of reading time and do not have a weak heart! Jason Elam, 15 year NFL veteran brings realism and insight into the sport of professional football that will have you so enlightened as to what really happens in the locker room...and that is a GOOD thing for sports fans!

Let me tell you, if he played football as well as he writes...those must have been some GOOD 15 years on the gridiron!

His pastor and co-author, Steve Yohn has collaborated on a chilling thriller that plays 'what if' and messes with your mind on such a deep level--well, you'll be on your knees by book's end.

Riley Covington has served his country alongside some of the finest in uniform while fighting in Afghanistan, and he has served well. Now, he's having the time of his life playing professional football for the Colorado Mustangs as one of their best line-backers.

His old service partner, Scott Ross, now works for intelligence in the government, hunting down terrorists and their ilk. Both are excellent at their new callings in life--which is a very good thing when the unthinkable happens.

Terrorism strikes at home, and this time it hits harder than ever. With time running out on the biggest and most deadly of plots in the works, Riley returns to his covert ops life along with Scott and their old team--be prepared to fall in love with these characters...

...and to lose your heart along the way. These men and women come to vivid life under the master craftsmanship of Elam and Yohn in a way that boggles my mind. Foreshadowing in suspense is a lost art, and these two gentlemen have found it, polished it off, and put it to good use in "Monday Night Jihad".

The sports info is enlightening: the military and covert info is frightening. Both combined make for an adrenaline laced read that will have you praying for America and our armed services like never before.

That's what I love about really, really great fiction--it changes you as you turn each page. "Monday Night Jihad" has definitely changed me--now I know why my sis flipped out at the news I hadn't read it yet.

Don't make my mistake. This book makes the perfect Christmas gift for your favorite readers and football nuts--it may even make the armchair quarterback into a reading nut!

I'm giving "Monday Night Jihad" the Golden Bookmark" for writing excellence with a golden football as a charm--come on, you saw that one coming a mile away, right?! I'm also voting it "Best Military Thriller of 2008".

Seriously, do NOT miss this book, and be watching for my review of "Blown Coverage" coming SOON!

As soon as my heart stops racing from THIS one!

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

4 comments:

Andi said...

I so want to read this! I'm a Denver Broncos fan, and I love Elam! It is def. on my wish list!

Kim said...

I saw this in the store just the other day and was curious once I realized there was a football player on the cover. I'll have to pick this one up for my two boys.

Anonymous said...

Deena, your review has made me want to get this book. In fact, I'm on the phone with the bookstore now to see if it's in stock!

~ Patty

Steve Yohn said...

Deena, I just came across your very kind review. Thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on "Blown Coverage" (assuming you get around to it before we release book three).