Friday, October 10, 2008

Back to Life by Kristen Billerbeck

Photobucket


Kristen Billerbeck is an author I love for a quirky reason: her books look lighter than they really are--she's deceptively complex, and I totally get that! Her latest release (which I had a hard time getting a copy of:-) is filled with far more than you might assume.

Imagine you're the second wife, the so-called 'trophy wife'--and your husband passes away. As you await his estate's settlement, who should pop up on your doorstep but the ex-wife--the executor of his estate!

But wait, there's more! So much more...

...a convoluted will and trust that will force those involved to reconcile their pasts.

...a son unknown to the current missus that is 'richer' than he seems, and not in the expected ways.

...a protective mom who happens to have secrets of her own, and who will stop nothing to keep the 'trophy wife' from getting her clutches in junior.

...a group of 'social misfits' known as The Trophy Wives Club who struggle to work out their own relationships with Christ, their pasts, and their ex's (or soon to be ex's).

Kristen doesn't shy away from the pain and destruction that comes from divorce, re-marriage, step-children, or the consequences of marrying for wrong reasons. What she does brilliantly is shine the light of God's love into an area the church has consistently judged and condemned with no mercy, and brought healing to women who read her books.

The covers might lead you to think these are 'fluff reads'...but do NOT be fooled. This woman has depth, soul, wit, and class--and I love her for it all. I'm giving "Back To Life" five out of five bookmarks, with a faux Gucci tote as a charm--no doggie included:-)

Happy Reading!

Deena

3 comments:

CherryBlossomMJ said...

Such a great book! I loved it. I just have to find myself a copy of the first one. I did not get to read that one...

Rel said...

Great review, Deena :)

Never received my copy of this one - glad to know it is good.

Traci said...

This sounds right up my alley - I'm adding it to my wishlist right now.