Saturday, October 25, 2008

Author of the Month: Sharon Hinck's "Restorer's Journey"!

Here's the story behind Sharon's amazing fantasy trilogy (which could and SHOULD have at least one more volume in it, IMHO:-), "The Sword Of Lyric" by NavPress:

Four and a half years ago, I envisioned a middle-American mom (much like myself) plunged into the classic fish-out-of-water fantasy epic. This story premise has been done a million ways--but usually with a young male hero.

Could a female character take this "hero's journey?" I know the lives of my women friends - and they are the stuff of epic heroism. I was also inspired by the Biblical example of Deborah in the book of Judges. I believed that there was room for a different take on the genre.

What if Susan, a modern wife and mom of four, (whose biggest battle was arbitrating which of her kids got the biggest French fry) was pulled into a world waiting for a promised Restorer to save their people? And what if she had the signs they watched for? Her relationship skills, her experiences as a wife and mother, and most of all her deep and persistent faith - all brought a new color to the adventure palette.

This story grabbed me and wouldn't let go, and in fact, I wrote two more novels in the series - because I loved the characters so much.

The journey of this book coming to publication is its own adventure story of obstacles, battles, and allies...and most of all of the unfailing faithfulness of God.

This is one of the most inspiring fantasy fiction series' I've ever read...and I was skeptical at first. But there's incredible, practical living power demonstrated via this series...I challenge you to give it a try and see what YOU glean from the pages!

Happy Reading!

Deena

1 comment:

Rel said...

Oh, yes please! Would love another Restorer book :)