Friday, April 18, 2008

I Became a Christian, and All I Got was This Lousy T-Shirt by Vince Antonucci

Photobucket


Now, this isn't even my book. My husband bought this book for himself. But after watching him read the first few chapters, I started nagging him to finish it so I could read it for myself!

With laugh out loud humor and an insight into the soul, Vince Antonucci has written a book that will cause you to think and to long for the Christian life you were meant to live.

The basic premise of the book is this: after we get saved (born again, accept Christ), we settle into a zone of comfort, ease...and boredom. It's like when my husband and I went on vacation and enjoyed all the benefits of the trip, and everyone back home got...

...a t-shirt.

That's how most of us tend to live our Christian lives. No benefits, no excitement, no purpose. Vince shares how he came to Christ (worth the entire book to read his story), and what he observed in Christians afterward.

Then he takes us on a journey of self-examination through personal anecdotes (the one about the smell lady---wow!), Scripture (Jesus washing feet...never fails to teach me something), and stories of people he's met who are not settling for just a t-shirt.

I noticed the dry areas in my life, the routine and the stale...and Vince's book was like a breath of God through my life. Not that it IS the breath of God, but it blew away the cobwebs of my heart and freshened my soul. It was just what I needed at just the time I needed it.

He's funny, he's wise, and he's truthful. Plus, he's right. I have my questions on a few things, but nothing to write home about. I think you'll gain a lot from reading this uniquely packaged book!

I'm giving "I Became A Christian, and All I Got was This Lousy T-Shirt" (whew!) four out of five bookmarks, with a tiny souvenir shop as a charm.

Happy Reading!

Deena

No comments: