Sunday, February 3, 2008

Searching For Spice by Megan DiMaria

Photobucket


Megan DiMaria's debut novel will strike a chord with Christian women who long for more intimacy in their "almost perfect" marriages. With humor, warmth and characters that are engaging and entertaining, Megan has earned a place on my "Must Read Authors" list!

Linda Revere has a wonderful life...sort of. I mean, her boss is kind of a jerk, but she works with some great women. And her kids love her, but can be a tad bit self-absorbed at times. And her marriage...well, Jim is her steady rock...and that's a good thing, right?

Except, Linda longs for a sizzling affair...with her husband! When did the flames of passion ebb down to a spark? And how can she get her hubby with the program of romance and va-va-voom that she's created?

I must admit, there were moments I wanted to reach into this story and snatch her boss by the scruff of the neck! I kept asking myself...why does she keep that job when she's treated like that?

And there were moments I wanted to holler into the ears of her kids, "Hey! Don't you realize your mom is a person, with feelings just like you have, that can be wounded?"

And as for Jim..."Get with the program, Buddy! That woman loves you and only wants a teensy bit more romance...come on!"

Then it hit me...Linda was...me.

Not that either one of us are Desperate Housewives by any stretch of the imagination. But the day in and day out of life can suck the intimacy from our marriages very quickly if we don't guard our hearts and minds. We're not so much in danger of affairs, as we can grow in danger of indifference.

Watching Linda try to add "spark" to her marriage was fun and inviting, and it made me much more willing to hold my hubby's hand as we drove down the road and to give him a gentle touch on his shoulder before he went to the pulpit on Sunday.

And when Emma and her best friend make a split second and thoughtless choice, the fallout wrenched my heart as if the events involved friends that we loved dearly.

In the midst of this novel of marriage and relationship came a lesson in teaching our children wisdom early in life, before life teaches them the need for wisdom the hard way.

This multi-layered novel was one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I've had so far this year. Megan has genuine talent, and I look forward to reading more of her work...just hope she writes FAST!

The Revere family is one I wish I could spend much more time with. Megan has me craving more with Linda and Jim and the kids...wishin' this was a series! I'm giving "Searching For Spice" a five out of five bookmark rating, with a prescription bottle as a charm.

And, yup, you'll just have to read the book to find out why! But you'll enjoy it, or my name isn't Deena! Buy this novel for a friend who needs a little humor and lift in her life...especially if that friend just happens to be you!

"Searching For Spice" is a debut novel by Megan DiMaria, and it releases from Tyndale House Publishing April 2008.

Happy Reading!

Deena

3 comments:

Megan DiMaria said...

Hi Deena,

Thank you very much for the kind words about Searching for Spice.

God is so good to have brought my dream to reality. The dream of being a published novelist lived in my heart since I was a teenager, and I actively pursued publication for 12 years before I got "the call."

I've visited your blog before, so you can only imagine my delight at finding my book featured here!

SFS is not a series, per se. But in October another book with the same characters will be released from Tyndale House. I wish I could tell you the title, but it's not been selected yet. :-)

God bless you and your readers.

A prisoner of hope,
Megan DiMaria

Jan Parrish said...

Sounds like an awesome book. I can't wait until it's release so I can read it myself!

Jan Parrish said...

Sounds like an awesome book. I can't wait until it's release so I can read it myself!