Monday, December 24, 2007

Home For The Holidays--Day 24 of the Twenty Five Reviews of Christmas: The Great Santa Search by Jeff Guinn

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Here we are. It's Christmas Eve. We've shared quite a bit about Christmas fiction and non-fiction, and it has been so much fun for me to share my favorites with you. As we wait for morning to come and the festivities to begin, allow me to share the last in a trilogy that I have enjoyed so very much...

Photobucket


Once again, Jeff Guinn has created a Christmas "non-fiction" tale that has earned a spot of honor on my Christmas bookshelf. "The Great Santa Search" takes a page from today's obsession with reality television and our disdain for all things Santa.

Jeff begins in 1841, when the first commercial Santa venture began. A well known store owner hires a "Santa" to boost his holiday sales, and thus begins a tradition carried out in every mall in America today.

Being imitated isn't the problem for Santa, though...until his imitators develop a taste for untruths and poor quality. As people begin to no longer believe in him, Santa feels the need to step in and set the record straight.

It isn't until the year 2006 that things really get messed up. When a reality television producer cooks up the idea to host a reality show searching for the "real Santa" to disprove Santa's existence...well, things REALLY get interesting then!

Of the three, this is the most fictional of the series. Jeff just has fun with the commercialization of Christmas and the way we view a beloved character from the season. I found "The Great Santa Search" the most entertaining of the three, but just as enjoyable as the entire series, and finally found it in time to add to my collection of cherished Christmas books.

So, I'm giving "The Great Santa Search" five out of five bookmarks, with a chimney charm, complete with snow and a sprinkle of soot! I encourage you to check these books out at your local library, and see if you don't fall in love with them as I have loved them.

We will have ONE more review tomorrow, and then a final giveaway...you won't want to miss it! Merry Christmas Eve, everyone...and

Happy Reading!

Deena

1 comment:

Kim said...

Deena,
I just wanted to pop in and wish you and your family a terrific Christmas! I have so enjoyed learning to blog, and I'm extremely excited about next year! I look forward to getting to know everyone and share this journey!

What a blessing!

Have a very, very, merry Christmas!!

Kim