Saturday, November 3, 2007

Bluegrass Peril by Virginia Smith

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


After devouring reading "Bluegrass Peril" by Virginia Smith, I can honestly say that "Murder by Mushroom" remains my favorite. BUT, having said that, it's like saying "I prefer peanut M&M's...but I just love M&M's." Because a good book is, well, THIS ONE!

Becky Dennison is a single mom, raising twin five-year-old sons alone and without any support from her deadbeat ex(I know, you're already feeling sorry for her!). So her job at Out To Pasture: A Thoroughbred Retirement Farm is her bread and butter, and she'll do anything to keep that job.

But Becky's future looks bleak when her boss is found dead in the barn...murdered, to be more specific. Who would want the manager of a horse's retirement farm dead? One of his bookies? A mistress? Or is something more sinister going on?

Scott Lewis takes his temporary appointment as farm manager seriously, and he works alongside Becky to uncover what is actually going on at Out To Pasure. As is always the case in a cozy mystery...the two get in over their heads trying to figure out whodunit.

I love a cozy mystery. To define a cozy mystery (for me), it's a suspense read that doesn't tie me up in knots or make me feel like I watched a marathon of CSI, but has likeable characters and just enough suspense to lead me through to the end.

But when it comes to the Christian cozy, I look for even more. I look for faith, for that deeper message that transcends earthly love and displays heavenly love. Becky struggles with whether or not to reconcile with her deadbeat ex, and what God has to say about the matter (which isn't as cut and dried as some try to make it, but we won't go there...).

Virginia has the cozy mystery down cold! In fact, I'm labeling her the "Christian Cozy Mystery Maven"! I give "Bluegrass Peril" four out of five bookmarks, with a hoofpick charm...and you'll just have to read it to find out why.

Happy Reading!

Deena

1 comment:

Brittanie said...

I was so excited to get this book in the mail Thursday ... but I cannot read it yet. I have a huge powerpoint presentation and a paper due Monday night. And I cannot take Monday off work so I need to be working on it. :(