Friday, October 26, 2007

On Tour With "The Vase Of Many Colors" by Rachel Thoene

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketRachel Thoene comes from a family of authors--you may know her mom and dad, Brocke and Bodie Thoene, or her brothers, Jake and Luke Thoene. All are excellent writers, and now Rachel joins their ranks as a top-notch writer.

Rachel knows what it’s like to pick up broken pieces. As a site administrator at two alternative schools for at-risk students in an urban school district in Sacramento, California, she helps students put the pieces of their broken lives back together and discover success where there was only self doubt. As a mother, she finds new beauty in the hearts of her two children, Ian and Jessie. “Every person we come into contact with has the potential to be a beautiful and valuable work of art,” Rachel says. The inspiration for the story began as an email to a friend who was struggling with how to relate to her teenage son. When the story further developed, Rachel realized that the underlying message appealed to the experiences of adults and children alike.

MY REVIEW:

"The Vase of Many Colors" may be considered by many to be a children's story. That would be wrong. This is a story for children of all ages...from one to one-hundred. It is a story of forgiveness, redemption, and the power of God as spoken in His Word in Romans 8:28.

It is the story of an old, crooked grandmother and her very bouncy granddaughter, and the beloved vase that sits on the shelf in the very small house on the very grand hill, in the very small town.

As happens with bouncy children, something gets broken, and then the true story begins. I won't ruin it for you, but it is absolutely gorgeous, and the message echoed through my soul.

Because, you see, I have a very bouncy 20 year old daughter, and many things have been broken in our lives because of her twirly, dancing self. But God revealed Himself to me through this simple yet profound story.

This is on par with "Love You Forever" in terms of destined to become a classic storybook. Families for ages to come will be reading this to children and grandchildren, just for the joy of hearing it again themselves.

I'm giving "The Vase of Many Colors" six out of five bookmarks, with a rainbow charm that catches the light and makes colors dance wherever it goes.

Now, would you like to win a copy of this marvelous book? Simply leave me a comment, and I'll draw a winner on November 1st!!

Happy Reading!

Deena

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know me and children's books!!! I would love to enter!

Anonymous said...

Oh I'd love to win a copy of this.

Count me in Deena!

I blogged ya:

http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2007/10/saturday-edition-of-contests-galore_27.html

Melissa Markham said...

This sounds like an awesome book! And I love books that the whole family can share!

Bowen Family- Ashley said...

I'd love to win a copy of this.


Count me in Please!!

HilLesha O'Nan said...

Count me in! :)