I am a HUGE fan of Rene's books, so I was thrilled when she agreed to an interview with little ol' me. And at the end of the interview...you'll find a neat surprise!!
Here's a little about our featured author: Rene Gutteridge is the author of 10 novels, including the Boo series, the Storm series, The Occupational Hazards series and My Life as a Doormat, a Women of Faith selection for 2006. She has been published over 30 times as a playwright, and holds a degree in screenwriting, graduating magna cum laude from Oklahoma State University. Rene is married to Sean, a musician, and they have two young children. They make their home in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
1) I think I've read just about everything you've written. "Boo Humbug" is the latest in the Boo series, but you're also writing the "Occupational Hazard" series. Is it difficult to have more than one project going at once, and how do you manage it?
It is difficult and I have to carefully manage it. I have yet to write two books at once. What I normally do is write one, and edit the other. Once I'm submerged into the writing process of the book, it's hard for me to get in to another project. Often I do have to pull out of writing and go in to editing because of publisher deadlines, etc., and that requires a complete shift in my thinking. It takes me a couple of days to get back into the writing once I've left it.
2) I love the Boo series. Any more titles coming our way about Wolfe, Ainsley and company?
Right now, it's just Boo Humbug. There is nothing planned for the future, but one never knows what could happen!
3) What sparked the Boo series in your mind?
It really just began with the idea of what would happen if a famous horror writer converted to Christianity. People ask if this is about Stephen King. It really isn't. It was simply a fun idea to ponder. Then I wondered where he lived and what his relationship was like with the townspeople. From there, it grew into Skary, Indiana and Boo.
4) Obviously when we hear "Boo" we think Halloween, but your latest is a Christmas story. What is your favorite holiday of the year?
Definitely Christmas. I am a Christmas freak. I wait for it all year long. I love winter, fireplaces, sweaters, all that. I have a huge collection of Dept. 56 Dickens village pieces. Over a hundred in my collection. It takes an entire day to set it up but it's worth it.
5) Where's your favorite place to do your writing?
I like writing at my desk. It's in my bedroom. I don't need a great view or anything. If I had a great view I'd want to stare out the window instead of work. Occassionally I'll work at Starbucks, but mostly when I'm editing.
6) What's on your currently reading shelf of books right now?
Leaper by Geoffrey Wood. GREAT novel. And False Witness by Randy Singer.
7) Wolfe has a hard time seeing "A Christmas Carol" being "creatively handled" by Lois Stepaphanolopolis (love that name!). Any other classics you'd like to have some fun with?
Not at the moment. Luckily, A Christmas Carol has been tampered with a lot so I didn't have that "fear and trembling" feeling!
8) I mentioned earlier your "Occupational Hazard" series, which I LOVE! But you've written a few stand-alone titles and co-written a screenplay adaptation of "The Ultimate Gift". Any other projects waiting in the wings you'd like to share?
I'm just finishing SKID, which is the third Occupational Hazards book. My next project will probably be a thriller.
9) When it comes to M & M's, plain or peanut?
Well...neither, actually. I can do M&Ms but they're not my favorite. I like dark, dark chocolate.
10) If the "Boo" series could be filmed, who would you pick for your main characters?
Viggo Mortenson for Wolfe and Reese Witherspoon for Ainsley.
Thanks for your time, Rene, and for many, many hours of reading enjoyment. I'm eagerly awaiting the third "OH" novel...and hoping for more "Boo" too!
Now, to buy the book, just click here.
But TO WIN the book, leave me a comment with your favorite Halloween candy (even if you don't celebrate, I KNOW you eat the candy:-). I'll pick THREE winners on November 7th...so don't delay!!