Wednesday, September 5, 2007

When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box by John Orberg

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Would you like to read a book that is fun and also helps change your way of thinking in the process? Then I highly recommend the latest title by John Ortberg. In a word...LOVEDIT!!

Based on the metaphor of a game, John Ortberg discusses how to figure out what is most important, and then how to obtain the ultimate prize in this game we call life. He opens with an anecdote about playing Monopoly with his Grandmother, then transfers the discussion to the meaning and importance of who we are and what we do.

With sections titled, "The Game", "The Object", "Setup", "How To Play", "Hazards" and "To Win", he carries the game metaphor through the entire book, making it both an enjoyable read and an education in "having a good game" in life.

Filled with quotes and packed with Scripture, John Ortberg has written an admonishing book for today's overachieving Christian, and a source of encouragement for those struggling just to get it right. I wish this was required reading for all college and high school students!

I give "When the Game is Over" six out of five bookmarks...but who's counting?!? Did I mention I LOVED THIS BOOK!! For a bonus,a little scrabble gamepiece charm rounds it out for me. If you're tired of the hamster wheel mentality, pick up a copy of this book. Then play the game to REALLY win...God's way:-)

Oh, and did I mention I. Love. This. Book. In fact, I loved it so much I'm voting it "Best Non-Fiction of 2007"!!

Happy Reading!

Deena

No comments: