Thursday, August 23, 2007

On Tour With Mary DeMuth, Author of Authentic Parenting in a Postmodern Culture

I'm on tour with a LOT of authors this week, so it's going to be busy, but lots of fun! Today, I'm introducing Mary DeMuth and her new book, "Authentic Parenting in a Postmodern Culture".

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I'm a fan of Mary's writing. I've read two fiction titles by her, frequent her blog and website, and was thrilled when I was asked to read her latest non-fiction title.

Mary writes with a genuine voice, and her characters are true and convincing. She doesn't shy away from the hard topics, but addresses them with grace and heart. So I was eager to dive into "Authentic Parenting".

And I'm pleased to say it did NOT disappoint me! What I enjoyed most about her new book is knowing that Mary wrote from experience. Having raised her children during some of their most formative years in a culture hostile to Christian faith, this woman knows what she's writing about!

Don't let the title throw you: postmodern isn't a dirty word--it's simply a description of the world we live in today. And Mary gives an excellent explanation of the concept in her introduction.

Her book is filled with explantions and definitions (whenever possible) in those text boxes I love to find in my non-fiction titles. Information that is critical is easy to remember, and well presented.

She doesn't shy away from quoting and referencing Scripture (YAY Mary!!), and this is not necessarily a "how-to" manual as much as a "how to think" nudge for a parent's heart.

Our world is changing; our gospel message is not. And it should not. But how we communicate it to our children must change if we are to impact them for Christ. This book is an excellent gift for that young mom and dad just beginning their long parenting journey, or those parents who are mystified and wide-eyed at how hard it is to convey Biblical truth to their children.

As with any non-fiction title, test it against Scripture. I think you'll find Mary lines up beautifully. I give "Authentic Parenting in a Postmodern Culture" five out of five bookmarks. This is a tour I'm so glad I didn't pass up!

Visit more bloggers on tour this week with Mary at:

For a complete listing of the blogs participating in the six week tour, visit here.
Ane Mulligan
Candle Blog
Declaring His Marvelous Work
Five Bazillion and One
Generation NeXT Parenting
GraceReign
Holy Experience
Hopeful Happenings
In the Dailies
Leap of Faith
Lift My Noise
Llama Momma

sprightly
Soul Scents
Spaghettipie
The View from Here
Write On Edge


Happy Reading!

Deena

No comments: