Friday, August 3, 2007

Harry Potter and the Favorite Moments Meme, Spoiler Week, Question Five

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



WARNING TO ALL WHO ENTER...THIS IS A SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILERS CONTAINED HERE!! VIEWERS@@BEWARE!!



I'll make this quick: I've read some reviews, and there are some who feel a bit cheated by the ending battle. Some feel that Jo found a sneaky way to keep our hero alive. So, should Harry have died? Or was his willingness enough?

Personally, I feel that if Jo had done anything else, she would have violated the parameters of her own story. She set us up with hope in the face of fear, with joy in the face of sadness, and with belief in a good outcome even when all is darkest.

Harry had to be willing to be sacrificed, but not necessarily killed. His willingness to face death for the sake of his friends and family satisfies the requirement of the dark magic.

BUT, when you read Chronicles of Narnia, Aslan HAD to die in order to defeat the deeper magic. So this begs the question...did Harry die and come back, or what???

Thoughts, please!!

Happy Reading!

Deena

6 comments:

BookGal said...

I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending. I might have liked it more if Harry had chosen to continue to fight Voldemort without knowing he would survive. That would have been truly a dramatic choice. It made the final battle a bit anticlimatic because it was clear that Harry would survive. Did he die? I'm not sure but I do think he was given the choice to die and decided to live.

TaunaLen said...

I'm commenting through squinty eyes. I'm just starting Deathly Hallows, and I wanted you to know I'm not ignoring you. :-) Half-Blood Prince held a lot of surprises. I'm torn between devouring Hallows to find out what happens next, and savoring it because it's the last book. Oh what a sad statement that is. You know I read the first book less than a month ago, and it's because of you that I am hooked. Thanks, friend, for a great recommendation.

~TaunaLen

TaunaLen said...

Squinty eyes, because I don't want to accidentally read a spoiler.

Deborah said...

well technically didn't harry die? i was find with his ending. like you said, like Aslan.

ohAmanda said...

I kinda don't think Harry died. (Maybe that's just me not wanting it b/c that would be too spiritual!) Here's the 2 reasons:
1. The whole King's Cross thing happened in a split second b/c when Harry came back, Voldy and everyone was quiet and wondering if he was dead.
2. Harry asked if this was in his head & DD said, "Just b/c it's in your head doesn't mean it's not real." My feeling was that DD "visited" Harry in his mind.

I just felt like it was the horcrux that died and it rendered Harry incapacitated and that's when the DD/Kings Cross thing happened. I know that's not good evidence, but that's how I felt.

soleil said...

http://jehara.blogspot.com/2007/08/week-two-question-5.html