Friday, July 27, 2007

Harry Potter and the Favorite Moments Meme, Question Five

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Ok, we've had a bit of fun, now, haven't we?? Today's question will take a more philosophical turn, I'm afraid. Just like the books, today, we go a bit deeper...but no worries...there's a lighthearted question as well:-)

So, to begin...

I've read fantasy before. I'm a HUGE Tolkien fan, and I've enjoyed Lewis as well. My son and I have read other series written for children, like the Spiderwick Chronicles, and Artemis Fowl (a real hoot, if I do say so myself!).

But nothing seems to have captivated me like Harry Potter. And as I turned the last page of the last novel, I felt an incredible sadness wash over me. Not because of all the deaths...but because it was the end of a gorgeous journey.

So, my question is...

What is it about Harry that has such a hold on us? What is it about the series that appeals like no other? There are more detailed, more intricately woven, more authentic series out there...but none like Harry Potter...why?

I'm not going to post my answer to this one until tomorrow. I want to see what you all think first. Get some other theories...

Second of all, favorite scenes from the books?? Come on, I know you have some! But please, no spoilers just yet!! Some are still reading, poor souls:-) LOL!!

I adored HP and the Goblet of Fire--the entire contest and how Harry had to decipher the clues to each contest...the mystery of Mad-Eye Moody...and even the tragic ending...I adored it ALL!!

But I also loved the opening of the series, when Harry was finally treated like someone special...had friends...had a real home...and got presents for Christmas. I have felt as Harry felt--a misfit, nobody of note, and why do I even take up air...and then to have God bestow upon me the mantle of His Son through Calvary...wow is all I can say.

So, how about you?? I mean, I have more, but I don't want to hog it all:-)

Happy Reading!

Deena

P.S. Don't forget...part two of the interview with Jo Rowling on TODAY is...well, today (Friday!). And the entire hour of Dateline NBC on Sunday night is dedicated to Harry Potter, The Final Chapter!!

3 comments:

Deborah said...

it's good storytelling. the characters are engaging, the writing funny and serious, you can relate to them and feel awed at the stuff they can do that we can't. who doesn't wish they could have magical powers?

any scene with Fred and George is hilarious...one is when ron gets to be prefect in OOTP and Mrs Weasley says now the whole family has been one and one of the twins go "What are we? Next Door Neighbors?" another is when the twins and Ginny sing around the house after Harry doesn't get charged "he got off he got off he got off" and mrs weasly keeps yelling at them.

Anonymous said...

My answer to this question is here:

http://apatchworkofbooks.blogspot.com/2007/07/hp-question-5.html

soleil said...

http://jehara.blogspot.com/2007/07/question-5.html