Monday, June 11, 2007

Because Inquiring Minds Want To Know, Part Two!!

Chili is hosting a meme on how we all got our start in the big, big world of blogging. Since I have three (yes, count'em, THREE) blogs, this is a three parter. For part 1, click here.

How did you start blogging?

I am an avid reader, and I love to share about what I read. I posted the occasional book review on my other blog, but that seemed to messy and didn't fit its purpose. So I created "A Peek At My Bookshelf" for all things bookish; reviews, memes, contests, and the like. That keeps my bloggy world nice and tidy, which is a far cry from my real world!!

Did you intend to be a blog w/a following? If so, how did you go about it?

No, I certainly didn't! I mean, I hoped people would find my reviews helpful, but I've found some authors have left me comments, which is WAY COOL! I've also joined Christian Fiction Blog Alliance (CFBA) and absolutely LOVE it there...God has hooked me up with some people in the publishing and publicity world of Christian publishing and that has opened quite a few doors. I'm humble and honored to be allowed to review such remarkable writers, and I love every minute of it!

What do you hope to achieve or accomplish with your blog? Have you been successful? If not, do you have a plan to achieve those goals?

I think I have. My goal is to get the word out about great Christian fiction and non-fiction, and to help promote books and their authors. Nothing thrills me more than to help someone find a new author, or to help push a particular book into the spotlight. Publishing is a difficult journey, so any little bit of help I can give is remarkable and what I hope to do.

Has the focus of your blog changed since you started blogging? How?

I didn't start out to be a Christian book reviewer, but I wouldn't have missed out on this for the world. I started blogging devotional type blogs for our women's fellowship...this just kind of happened. God has His ways...and I love Him for it!

What do you know now that you wish you'd known when you started?

I really only wish I'd know how to do links, so that when people read the reviews, they could click and buy. But I've learned that now. I finally figured out how to put the covers on the reviews, so people could at least have a reference for what the book looked like. I'm working on putting links to Christianbook.com or Amazon.com for ease of use. But that's a work in progress:-)

Do you make money with your blog?

No, but occasionally I get a free book...and that always makes me happy!!

Does your immediate or extended family know about your blog? If so, do they read it? If not, why?

My family isn't into the internet stuff, and I don't really like to promote myself to them. They don't really get interested in what I do...but my mom would have LOVED IT! Edited to add: My hubby, however, is my biggest fan. And he just called to let me know I forgot him!

What two pieces of advice would you give to a new blogger?

1. Figure out your purpose and find your voice. If you want to do book reviews, I highly recommend joining a group such as CFBA or F.I.R.S.T. and then staying in contact with the others in the group.

2. Join a blog ring that suits your purpose, and visit other blogs frequently. ALWAYS leave comments...that way people can find you. And it's just the right thing to do!

And there you have it...Part Two! For Part 3, click here.
Happy Reading!

Deena

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was interesting to read. I love to read good books, too!

Unknown said...

I agree--books are almost as good as cash!

It's definitely a learning process, but I feel pretty cool to have a little HTML and coding knowledge.

Barbara H. said...

Free books are a wonderful pay! :)

I enjoy reading your book reviews.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Denise said...

I love this blog, your book reviews are really great.

Rel said...

A fun read as always, Deena :)