Friday, March 30, 2007

Fire Dancer by Colleen Coble

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I wasn't sure about this one. I've read just about everything I could get my hands on that bore her name...devoured, actually. Yet I felt uneasy as I began reading "Fire Dancer."

Turns out, that was a powerful part of this story.

Tess Masterson is a smoke jumper, driven to put out fires because of the one fire that changed her life--the one that took the life of her parents and her uncle. She is also driven to stay away from the ranch where it all took place, all those years ago.

But life can change in a second...for Tess, it's in one jump. Stuck, she goes back home, to a home that seems uneasy...there's no peace anywhere around, except when she is with her horse, Wildfire.

That translates to the reader in a powerful way. I felt uneasy from the first page of the story, and it continued throughout. What I thought was a dislike for the story, was actually the power of Colleen's words transmitting the sense of unease and disconnect that Tess and her entire family felt.

Another fascinating power Colleen has, that I've seen few authors be able to pull off, is the ability to not give you a CLUE whodunit...but when she finally reveals the culprit, all the pieces were there all along. It's kind of a **slap your forehead and say "DUH!"** moment...and it's kinda cool (but don't slap your forehead...it hurts!).

So, did I like "Fire Dancer"? Yes, very much. And no, not at all...till the very end, when that feeling of unease finally left the story, and hence left me. Of all the stories I've read by this woman, I do believe "Fire Dancer" is the most powerful, style wise...but, I haven't read "Midnight Sea" yet, have I?? LOL!!

"Fire Dancer" gets 3 bookmarks and one tassel from me!

Pick up a novel by Colleen Coble...you will NEVER be disappointed!

Happy Reading!

Deena

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read all of her books as well and though Fire Dancer was decent, I didn't like it nearly as much as some of her others. It left me feeling frustrated with the main character throughout most of the book. I'm looking forward to reading her next one and hopefully I'll enjoy it a little more!

Debi said...

I have never read a book by her, but I must say I am now anxious to. Thanks for sharing your very insightful review!