Thursday, February 1, 2007

Balancing Act by Kimberly Stuart

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


This has not been one of my favorite reads this year..."Balancing Act" by Kimberly Stuart seemed out of balance to me. But you be the judge.

Heidi Elliott is mom to 6 month old Nora and wife to Jake. Caught in the old battle of stay at home mom and working mom, she chooses to return to teaching High School Spanish, putting Nora in daycare. Returning to their hometown is Ben, her old boyfriend and lover, and poor Heidi keeps forgetting to let Jake know when she's seen Ben. But, after all, Jake is keeping company with the Swedish blonde bombshell Jana Van Fleet.

With a little pressure on her, Heidi reluctantly joins a mom's group at their church. Through some detective style reading, I gathered that Heidi is not a believer, but thank goodness Willow, her new friend, is. She is the one redeeming character in this unbalanced act.

I'm not sure, but I believe Heidi finally surrenders to Jesus at the end...she and Jake confess their wannabe infidelity to one another, and she ends up choosing....do you really wanna know, or read it for yourself??

I checked...this was put out by NavPress, so it is classified as Christian fiction...but I have to admit I was a little surprised by some of the content. Clean by worldly standards, but not typically found in the Christian fiction genre.

That's beside the point. This is about far more than SAHM or Working mom...this is about the Christian life vs. a life lived for oneself...but it just doesn't seem to work on either level. I was disappointed...don't know if I'll read the next installment or not.

I would borrow this one...not worth the 15.00 for the read...wishing I had borrowed...

Deena

No comments: