Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Rescued by John Bevere and Mark Olsen

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Sometimes, you read a novel and you feel unsettled, disturbed by its message. Maybe even wish you had never opened the cover of the book. But, that's not always a bad thing.

Very few books are what I call "life-changers". I enjoy reading, and I do read a lot. I read a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction, 98% Christian.
But today I read, in one day, a novel that is actually my husband's. His reaction to it stirred me to want to read "Rescued", by John Bevere and Mark Andrew Olson; it also left me a little reluctant to tackle this novel.
My husband said reading it changed him in ways he still hasn't fully grasped.

Now, I know what he meant.

"Rescued" is the story of a pastor, Alan Rockaway, and members of his congregation, on a pleasure cruise inside a submarine designed for those once-in-a-lifetime underwater excursions. Through a set of life altering circumstances, tragedy occurs. The sub is sunk and trapped, and people are suddenly struggling to survive.

Up above, on the pier, is the pastor's teenaged son, Jeff. He has video taped the entire incident, and now waits, powerless to help in a mind-boggling event.

The story itself is compelling. The writing is crisp, with flashbacks and a few other interruptions that do take a little while to get used to.
But the message catches you off guard, sucks the breath from your lungs, and makes you rethink everything you've ever believed about God, eternity, and what it means to serve such a Holy Being.

I challenge you to get "Rescued". It will be the most important thing you do in this new year. It will rock your world, I guarantee it. Like I stated earlier, that's not always such a bad thing.

Still processing...........

Deena

No comments: