Friday, June 14, 2013

The Judge by Randy Singer




About the Book:

Previously published as The Cross Examination of Oliver Finney. When a brilliant billionaire is diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer, he realizes that all his considerable wealth cannot prepare him to meet his Maker. But he has an idea that might: he will stage the ultimate reality show. With his true agenda hidden, he auditions followers from all the world’s major religions, inviting them to the trial of their lives on a remote island, where they must defend their beliefs against spiritual challenges.

Oliver Finney, a feisty old judge with his own secrets, is chosen to defend Christianity. As the program takes a strange twist, he quickly realizes he is trapped in a game of deadly agendas that may cost him his life. With Internet access monitored, Finney sends coded messages to his law clerk, Nikki Moreno. Aided by a teen crypto-geek, Nikki soon discovers the key to understanding Finney’s clues in an apologetics book Finney wrote and must race against time to decipher the mysteries contained in the ancient words of Christ before her boss dies defending them.

My Thoughts:

Before you get as excited as I did, let me remind you:  this is NOT a new novel by Randy Singer.  Instead, it's a previously published book about a fictional judge named Oliver Finney.  I admit, I prefer the new cover and title, but the book is the same as before.

This is the first novel by Randy that I never finished.  I don't know if it was the premise, the characters, or simply the fact that it just never 'clicked' with me.  I liked Nikki: she is a feisty and loyal assistant and added a lot to the story.

At the time of the original publication Tyndale released a companion book called "The Cross Examination of Jesus".  Now, that one I did finish, and I enjoyed it.  The book reminded me of Josh McDowell's "More Than a Carpenter" and Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ."

Considering how many novels Randy has written and how many I've loved from beginning to end, this one was a mild disappointment.  I wish I could put my finger on what was lacking, but I truly believe I was overwhelmed with both books at the same time.

So, give "The Judge" a try, and let me know what you think.  You just might convince me to give it a fresh reading.  I purchased a copy (not realizing it was a reissue:-) and you can purchase the book from bookstores everywhere.

"The Judge" is published by Tyndale Publishing and is mildly recommended.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: