Saturday, April 6, 2013

Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle



About the Book:

“There is really no better indicator you’re a mother than acquiring the ability to catch throw-up in a plastic bag, disinfect your hands, and immediately ask your friend to pass the beef jerky as you put on another Taylor Swift song and act as if nothing has happened.”

This is the type of insight Melanie Shankle offers in this quirky memoir of motherhood.

Written in the familiar, stream-of-consciousness style of her blog, Big Mama, Sparkly Green Earrings is a heartwarming and hilarious look at motherhood from someone who is still trying to figure it all out.

Filled with personal stories—from the decision to become a mother to the heartbreak of miscarriage and ultimately, to the joy of raising a baby and living to tell about it—Sparkly Green Earrings will make you feel like you’re sitting across the table from your best friend. A must-read for anyone who’s ever had a child or even thought about it.

My Thoughts:

I discovered this book while lurking on Amazon.com, checking out books that were releasing soon.  I was intrigued: a fellow blogger turned author.  If I had a quarter for every time someone told me, "You ought to write a book"...well, I would have enough change for a couple of copies of Melanie's book, at least!

But, after browsing a few reviews for myself, I think I'd pass.  Some of the criticisms of "Sparkly Green Earrings" are rather harsh, and some are amusing.  One person wrote that, had she known the book was like the blog, she would have saved her money.

Um...seriously???  You tell a blogger that she should write a book, then you bash her book for being written like her blog posts, the VERY THINGS YOU READ THAT CAUSED YOU TO TELL HER SHE OUGHT TO WRITE A BOOK?!?!?

For me, Melanie's musings were very enjoyable, entertaining reading.  She has a witty humor that appeals to my funny bone, but she isn't afraid to segue into the serious.  I teared up at quite a few of the chapters' conclusions.

Some reviewers said Melanie didn't go deep enough for them.  Again...really?   Just how deep did you want her to go, for pity's sake?  She writes about her heartrending miscarriage, difficult moments as a mommy, and questions she has about the future.  As I stated, many pages had me tearing, thinking about the soulful messages Melanie had penned.

And then there are those reviewers who get indignant over the "Jesus message".  Oh, honestly....read before you purchase, people!!  I was thrilled with Melanie's bold testimony, and equally thrilled that she kept it real.  With this book, I truly believe you get to know the real Big Mama.

I'm so glad I took a risk and purchased "Sparkly Green Earrings" for myself.  This was one of the best investments I've made in some time, and this is a book I'm certain I'll read again.

"Sparkly Green Earrings" is published by Tyndale, and is available now in bookstores (and Sam's Club!) everywhere.  I'm eager for the next blogger's book to release soon...and waiting for reviews to snark at her for sounding like her blog as well.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: