Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Fatherless by Dr. James Dobson and Kurt Bruner



About the Book:

The year is 2042, and a long-predicted tipping point has arrived. For the first time in human history, the economic pyramid has flipped: The feeble old now outnumber the vigorous young, and this untenable situation is intensifying a battle between competing cultural agendas.
 
Reporter Julia Davidson-a formerly award-winning journalist seeking to revive a flagging career-is investigating the growing crisis, unaware that her activity makes her a pawn in an ominous conspiracy. Plagued by nightmares about her absent father, Julia finds herself drawn to the quiet strength of a man she meets at a friend's church.
 
As the engrossing plot of FATHERLESS unfolds, Julia will face choices that pit professional success against personal survival in an increasingly uncertain and dangerous world.

In the dystopian tradition of books like 1984, Brave New World, and The Hunger Games, FATHERLESS vividly imagines a future in which present-day trends come to sinister fruition. The second and third books in the series, CHILDLESS and GODLESS, will follow at eight-month intervals.

My Thoughts:

This has to be the most troubling book I've read in a very long time.  "Fatherless" blends fact and fiction, melding the talents of two men I highly respect.  Kurt Bruner is a master storyteller, and Dr. Dobson's love for the family simply cannot be questioned.  But put these two together and you get a novel that will have you breathless and fervently praying for a different future in America.

Promotional materials are putting "Fatherless" in league with popular fiction, such as "The Hunger Games".  While the message of the story is powerful, it isn't quite as hopeless (nor as violent!) as the wildly popular YA series.  But make no mistake...death comes visiting in both books, and in "Fatherless", I believe it is more insidious and deceptive.

Which really had me in chills.

Some won't care for the facts and figures presented in the book.  I did.  Some won't find some of the characters well developed, may even call them caricatures.  I found everyone believable, and because of the fast paced nature of the telling, a lot of time isn't spent on backstory...but I don't believe it was needed.

My husband knows I want to stay current on what is considered 'popular fiction'.  And, yes, I've read "The Hunger Games".  My fear is that too many readers will miss "Fatherless" (with two more novels yet to come) and that would be a huge mistake.

Don't make that mistake.  Get a copy of "Fatherless", and see the possibilities ahead if we don't change our course.  Mine was a gift from my husband (I believe in this book so much I made sure I purchased a copy for myself).  My thanks to FaithWords for stepping out in faith and publishing this series.

"Fatherless" is highly recommended.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

1 comment:

Nise' said...

I just got this on audio and look forward to listening.