Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Shadow of Your Smile by Susan May Warren


From the Back of the Book:

Sometimes love requires a little forgetting.
A beautiful blanket of snow may cover the town of Deep Haven each winter, but it can’t quite hide the wreckage of Noelle and Eli Hueston’s marriage. After twenty-five years, they’re on the brink of divorce when an accident erases part of Noelle’s memory. Though her other injuries are minor, she doesn’t remember Eli, their children, or the tragedy that has ripped them apart.

What’s more, Noelle is shocked that her life turned out nothing like she dreamed it would. What happened to her ambitions? Could she really be married to this grizzly man?

As she steps back into her role as wife and mother, Eli attempts to help with both humorous and heartwarming results. But can she fall in love again with a man she can’t remember? Will the secrets she discovers destroy them . . . or has erasing the past given them a chance for the future?

My Thoughts:

I'm sorry, but I can't help but love a novel that has Susan May Warren on the cover as the author!  Her books make me cry, laugh, smile...sometimes all at once!  I've been a huge fan for a very long time...but no book has touched my heart like "The Shadow of Your Smile".

I can't imagine 'forgetting' my husband, my family, over two decades of my life, but that's what happens to Noelle.  A freak accident that ultimately puts her life at risk changes everything...question is, does it change for the better, or for the worse?

This story has a LOT to say about keeping secrets in a marriage.  Even the most innocent of details can be used by the enemy to twist into something with the potential to destroy the strongest relationship.  When cracks are already in the foundation, be prepared for some heavy structural damage when the truth comes out!

Eli is a sweetheart...but he spends part of the story being rather dense.  I kept wanting to yell at him, "Don't you see what you're DOING?"...even though he isn't real.  He could be, though.  I could be sitting near him in church...or sleeping next to him every night.

We must love sincerely, communicate effectively, forgive quickly, and allow God to heal us infinitely.  We live in a harsh and cruel world, and we need each other to make it through to the other side with as few battle scars as possible.  Sometimes those closest to us inflict the deepest wounds...and are the hardest to forgive.

"The Shadow of Your Smile" will stay with me a long, long time.  This is story that resonates in a woman's soul, and will change her for the better.  My only wish is that SOMEONE would take note of Susan's excellent novels and make some seriously great movies!

I received my copy of "The Shadow of Your Smile" by participating in Tyndale Publishing's Summer Reading Program.  This book is so highly recommended, I'm giving it the Golden Bookmark for Writing Excellence.
Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

1 comment:

Patricia said...

I enjoyed reading this book. Liked your review!