Wednesday, March 30, 2011

His Other Wife by Deborah Beford



Normally, I try to avoid books like this one. You know the ones...they tangle you up in the lives of the characters until you feel as if you are living the life they are living. Holding you in an emotional chokehold until you're ready to chuck the book at someone's head...usually your husband's.

Yup. That's the kind of fiction Deborah Bedford tends to write, and she's done it again with "His Other Wife". Hilary seemed to be living the perfect life. As she dashed through her morning routine, she sensed something was off with Eric, but she was running late. Had to get to the hospital.

Until Eric forced her to be late. Told her to stop and talk to him. To hold still and let him shatter her perfect world with his words: "I'm in love with someone else." Words so powerful I felt them echo in my woman's soul.

From the point of the divorce, Hilary has had one reason to get up and face life each morning, and it's her son, Seth. He's become her rock, her little man of the house, her anchor, her pride and joy.

And he hates it. The pressure mounts inside of him until it feels like a caged animal, looking for any way to escape. But he quiets the rage, making his way through middle school and high school. He's done his mother proud, earning top honors and growing into quite the man.

When the two families converge on Seth's graduation day, hidden hurts rise to the surface once again. Feeling like she's caught in a tug-of-war. Now Seth, Hilary, Eric and Pam must come to terms with the wounds of the past to deal with the wounds of the present.

I had such a hard time not skipping to the last chapter to see if everyone was going to be all right. I felt Hilary's pain and diminished sense of worth every time Pam opened her big mouth. And yet I wish I had Pam's courage to speak up in the situations she commented on...just with more tact or compassion.

The one person I never really felt for was Eric, the creator of the mess. When Deborah started letting us into his head, I could have cared less. Which was wrong...he was hurting as well. But still....

Have tissues handy and your girlfriends on speed dial when you read this one! This is the perfect book for a book club, with lots to discuss and some great discussions to have over who should and who shouldn't and why didn't they and on and on and on.

I'm giving "His Other Wife" four out of five bookmarks with a set of keys as a charm. My thanks to my friends at FaithWords for my copy.


Happy Reading! Photobucket Share/Save/Bookmark



Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

2 comments:

Sarah Allen said...

Wow, sounds like an emotional roller coaster. Great review, the book looks wonderful in a tense and fraught kind of way. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Unknown said...

This one sounds great. Normally I avoid these kinds but you make it sound interesting. 2 Kids and Tired Books