Monday, April 12, 2010

Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller



I love books that kick my spiritual backside all over God's creation and back. I know my own tendency toward spiritual complacency, and with time so short I don't want to waste a moment. Left to my own devices, I'll squander hours and days on nothing profitable.

That's why God loves me enough to bring me books like Timothy Keller's newest release, "Counterfeit God's". Reading this one was an in depth spiritual checkup, and I found I've been infected with the sin of idolatry.

Most likely, so have you.

We as Christians tend to put our trust and hope in just about anything except God. We fake ourselves into thinking we have total dependence upon Him, but when push comes to shove, the idols pop out.

It gets pretty ugly...and crowded...in our hearts.

Take for instance our economic downturn. How many Christians have you heard lamenting the economy, their job situation, or loss of income as if the world were coming to an end for them? That's a sign of faith and trust in money rather than in God. Turns out, we can learn a lot from Zacchaeus.

Or how about our latest political situation? Did you want to throw your hands up in despair at the election results, and feel as if you had no leadership or representation in your government? Did you feel hopeless at all? That points to dependence upon government rather than God. Nebuchadnezzar has a lot to share about that.

Are you so concerned with your appearance that all of your worth is conditioned on how much weight you've lost or gained, how your hair looks determines if you go out, or you can't look at someone without comparing how you look to how they look? Then you're serving the empty promise god of love/sex/appearance rather that the Creator of the Universe. You won't believe what you can learn from Leah and Rachel!

Might sound harsh, but idolatry is insidious and so deceptive. I saw myself in nearly every chapter, and found myself having to repent and ask God to remove my false gods so I could see Him more clearly.

Timothy Keller takes stories from Scripture that we're so familiar with and opens them up, drawing out deep insight and wisdom that not only reveals hidden idols, but brings fresh life in to reading your Bible. I'll never look at Jonah the same way!

The cool thing about Timothy Keller's book is not the revelation of the false gods in our lives, but how to rid ourselves of them. Of course, that comes in the final chapters, but powerful chapters! Just my humble opinion, but every believer needs to read "Counterfeit Gods".

It's just too easy to fool ourselves into thinking we only worship God, when He's usually far, far from our hearts and minds. A spiritual checkup never hurt anyone...and just might break out revival again.

I'm giving "Counterfeit God's" five out of five bookmarks, with a magnifying glass as a charm. Don't miss this new release, published by Dutton, a division of Penguin Publishers.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

1 comment:

Kim said...

What a wonderful post, Deena! Thanks for this timely and true reminder!

Hugs,
Kim