Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Scouting the Divine by Margaret Feinberg



I've heard good things about Margaret Feinberg's writing, but this is the first book I've had the privilege of reading. Most definitely, I plan on hunting for the other titles as soon as possible!

"Scouting the Divine" takes us on a journey of discovery, traveling along with Margaret on her search for deeper meaning in Scripture. The description alone is exquisite, painting word pictures that both delight and captivate.

Combined with the insights Margaret gleans as she meets and dialogues with a shepherd, a beekeeper, a farmer and a vintner, makes "Scouting the Divine" one of the most unique and insightful books I've read in a very long time.

Margaret does her homework before each meeting, combing the Bible for passages dealing with each pertinent topic: did you know that there are around 200 passages about honey? Even more can be found about sheep and shepherds, vineyards and agriculture.

At each meeting Margaret first gets acquainted with the lay of the land, exploring all the sensory elements of each locale. Her word choices are so vivid you almost have a 'you are there' feeling as you turn each page.

Before long, Margaret is sharing Scripture passages with each expert in their field, gleaning insights that come from knowing the intricacies of, say, beekeeping. She then shares the 'a-ha' moments that come to her as she ponders what she has learned in light of Scripture.

Her sharing led to my own personal 'a-ha' moments...and made me yearn to do my own scouting of the divine. Even the layout and design of the book is refreshing and unique, dividing each portion into whole sections rather than chapters. The flow of reading was magnificent, creating a complete portrait of each topic covered.

I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to share "Scouting the Divine" with you. In an age of 'same old' stuff, this book is a breath of fresh air, and is certain to spark a new hunger in your soul for more of God and more of His Word.

That's why I'm giving "Scouting The Divine" the Golden Bookmark for Excellence in Writing and Beauty in Design, with a beehive as a charm. My thanks to my friends at Zondervan for trusting me with a complimentary copy!

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: