Monday, January 18, 2010

The Church of Facebook by Jesse Rice



Sometimes the best books sit on my shelf, only because I have a lot of books to review and things get shuffled around. Had I known how excellent this was going to be, I would have read it a long time ago.

"The Church of Facebook" is a bit misleading...it isn't so much about church, Facebook, or worship as it is about how Facebook is the main feature in many of our lives. It has, in a sense, become like a church for us: a place of validation, connection, and identity.

Jesse Rice could make the most boring history lesson fascinating! He recounts major events in modern history and how they have had a monumental impact on society, and hold our attention vividly. For instance, did you ever consider how the invention of an air conditioner changed where and how we lived?

His footnotes are hilarious, as well as relevant. I loved the overall tone of the book...serious, but not too serious. And the points he makes are valid...almost to the point of being embarrassing for this reviewer.

At the close of the book, after explaining why Facebook has become such a phenomenon and whether it's healthy for us as a society, Jesse gives a bit of practical advice to help us keep this social network in its proper place.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Relevant, enjoyable, and informative: all words I'd happily use to describe "The Church of Facebook". Pastors and leaders especially should read this one, simply so they can relate to a culture that networks so well.

I'm giving "The Church of Facebook" five out of five bookmarks, with a Farmville flag as a charm...and yes, I'm addicted! Moo!

Thanks to Audra Jennings for my copy, and see you on Facebook!
Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: